Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

I have a general electric American style fridge /freezer model

Customer Question

I have a general electric American style fridge /freezer model psg29nhmhcbb s/nmg41850
the fridge side keeps going down to -2 regardless of what I set it to. can you help DEREK
MCCONECHY ps the freezer side is ok
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 3 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

How old is it ?

KevinWhiteJA :

Do you hear any different kind of sounds ?

JACUSTOMER-7k2jqt0v- :

I bought it obout 7/8 years ago new. there are no unusual sounds

KevinWhiteJA :

OK

KevinWhiteJA :

The problem is due to a faulty defrost heater and/or faulty defrost thermostat. The extra frost that occurs at the back of the fridge prevents the compressor to cool the refrigerator. This frost will block the evaporator fan motor from blowing the cold air around.

KevinWhiteJA :

If you are looking to repair this yourself then leave it unplugged for a while...and take off the rear of the unit to check for frost build up

JACUSTOMER-7k2jqt0v- : Hi I have had a look at the rear of the unit and I think I would rather have an engineer do the repair. How do I proceed now. Derek Mcconechy
KevinWhiteJA :

Hi Derek

KevinWhiteJA :

Good morning

KevinWhiteJA :

You can contact manufacturer or visit www.repaircare.co.uk to contact a local repair engineer

KevinWhiteJA :

will cost you around £110 including parts

KevinWhiteJA :

If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

JACUSTOMER-7k2jqt0v- :

repaircare don't do ge repairs so I asked ge direct who have put me in touch with a repairer .so I have been wasting my time and money speaking to you DEREK MCCONECHY

KevinWhiteJA :

Oh well I told you if you want to do it yourself I can help you but you wanted to get this done by engineer so I have provided you with there numbers...anyways please let me know how you want to proceed with this...Thanks