KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

I have got a dyson DC 27 which is not picking up anything.

I have got a dyson DC 27 which is not picking up anything. The bottom doesn't go around and it is dropping fluff everywhere. Please advise.
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 3 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

How old is it ?

KevinWhiteJA :

Have you already tried to clean the filter ?

Customer: It's about
Customer: its about 2 years old. Not cleaned filter yet.
KevinWhiteJA :

OK, please start by examining the pre motor filter (The blue sponge filter in a yellow carrier). If the pre motor filter is dirty then wash it warm soapy water or replace it.

KevinWhiteJA :

please make sure to clean it completely

Customer: Ok I will do this this evening with my husbands help. Can I let you know the result tomorrow?
KevinWhiteJA :

Sure..Please don't rate the solution till the time you are completely satisfied...If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

Customer: The filter has been cleaned and is currently drying. It looks fine. The Hoover is sending hot air at the base of the removable section - the section that collects the dust and requires emptying. That is where the problem is. It also seems a bit loose.
Customer: It sends hot air out at that point.
KevinWhiteJA :

Please check these cleaning instructions ...if that is how you have cleaned it and the hot air is coming through...it seems either something is stuck in there or the small belt is getting worn out..please let me know

Customer: All checked and all fine. No blockage that we can see. Suction is fine. The problem is still that the contents of the cylinder is blowing out immediately below the dust cylinder.
KevinWhiteJA :

OK, this means the unit will need to be checked as it might be due to either a bad switch in the motor compartment or a bad brush bar motor or a broken belt and you will have to disassemble it to check.. some parts like motor are covered under 3 years of warranty however..you will have to check this with the manufacturer...if you want to do it yourself then take the bottom off the unit and check the motor

Customer: I have decided to take it to someone.
KevinWhiteJA :

OK....Please don't rate the solution till the time you are completely satisfied...If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

Customer: The cleaner has been checked over and is apparently working normally now so all the cleaning must have done the trick.
KevinWhiteJA :

Great that it is working now after cleaning

KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Worked on appliances for more than 15 years