Jon
Jon, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home appliance technician with over 12 years experience.
60802242

Hi Daniel, i have a similar problem I think? I have a Bosch

Customer Question

Hi Daniel, i have a similar problem I think? I have a Bosch dishwasher sms40c02gb/03. The 'check water light is coming on and machine stops. E 18 is showing - 'Water level too low - valve'

Can you advise please?
Dominic
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.

Jon :

Dominic,

Jon :

My name is Jon and I am an authorized Bosch service tech and I can help you today.

Jon :

This is a common fault and problem with dishwashers and can be easily fixed by swapping out the water valve.

Jon :

But first before we have you do that, can you please flip off the power to the machine for about five minutes. This will reset the main controller/ computer. After the reset flip the power back on and set the dish for a normal cycle and hit the start button and let it fill.

Jon :

Please tell me if it fills all the way and starts to wash? if it does, stop the cycle by opening the door and take a peak at how much water is int he machine? You should have a couple inches of water on the bottom of the dishwasher. If you dont and there is barely any water, replace the water inlet valve.

Jon :

If there is enough water and yet the machine still gives you the fault/ error code, then replace the main control board.

Jon :

Finally, if the machine works just fine after the reset then that was all that was needed. And just let the machine run and keep a close eye on it.

Jon :

Please get back to me here if you have any questions and I will help you more. Thanks

JACUSTOMER-134jree2- :

Hi Jon. There is some water in the bottom, but I think not enough. Is there a way of manually putting some in to bring it up to the correct level? ie a bucket of water just before the fault light comes on?

JACUSTOMER-134jree2- :

I have made an enquiry to buy a water solenoid valve and am waiting for the supplier to come back to me.

JACUSTOMER-134jree2- :

Thanks Dominic

Jon :

hello

Jon :

yes. You can manually add buckets of water. although I wouldn't add buckets.

Jon :

First set the dishwasher to a normal wash cycle and then hit the start button. Then open the dish and put about 3 gallons of water in. Just enough to give you about 2-3 inches of water in the machine. Then close the door. If the cycle doesnt automatically start, start it by hitting the start button.

Jon :

This will essentially trip or bypass the water inlet valve. And if it starts the cyce and runs as normal, then you know for sure that you will only need the water inlet valve.

Jon :

If the machine either just immediately drains or just stops altogether then you will need the main control board.

Jon :

Try that now or the next time you get a chance and let me know what you find happens with your machine. I will research the parts for you now.

Jon :

I am sorry but I had forgotten that you are overseas from me here in New York. I will have very little, if no access to the parts in your machine. So it looks like it will be very difficult to get parts info for your machine. I would recommend you just run the test by manually filling the dishwasher by hand like I explain above then you will know what part(s) you will need for sure. Then call into Bosch customer service number and ask for their parts department. Then get the part numbers of the parts you need. Then I would take that parts number to your local appliance parts distributor and see if it will be cheaper. Which it usually is. Then just install them and test run the machine.

Jon :

You can get back to me here at time if you have more questions and or concerns and I will help you more. If you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat now with ok service or better rating. And if you have more questions or need more help after rating me, please feel free to get back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

Thanks. And please get back to me with what you find after filling the dish with water.