canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

We have a Worcester Greenstar HeatSlave 25/32 oil combi boiler.

We have a Worcester Greenstar HeatSlave 25/32 oil combi boiler. This morning while the heating worked the water remained luke warm. I turned it from timed to ON and still only luke warm. It seems the boiler not firing or registering this fact. The pressure bar seems lower and the LOCK OUT red light is on. There is enough oil in the tank. Can I fix this? My young family need hot showers/bath etc. Cant do any washing etc. This is the first time this has happened.
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. Is the oil tank just recently filled?

Customer:

No. I have been in touch with Worcester direct. I think I need to reset the holier. I believe I need to reset the Lock Out button - as this is lit up indicating it needs attention. Does that make sense.

canuck the pro :

Sure. To reset just hold the reset button down. Have you tried that already?

canuck the pro :

Only hold the button down until it resets then release.

Customer:

OK, great. Have just located reset button and held it down. Lock out light went off, boiler fired up and the outside flue is now showing steam? A minute later just before I turned hot water tap to check heat of water the LOCK OUT light has lit up again. Any ideas? Back to water being luke warm. The water seems to be coming out at same pressure as before.

canuck the pro :

If you check the condensate drain is it clear?

canuck the pro :

You may need to remove the control box on top of the burner and wipe the photo cell off with a cloth. Could be dirty and causing it not to be able to see the flame.

Customer:

Wheres the condensate drain? I've now tried to reset with button on the inside front panel and now also the alternative reset button on the top of the boiler. I have removed both front and top panels of the boiler. It seems to want to fire but then stops and Lock out light comes back on

canuck the pro :

Did you see my post right after about the photo cell? The condensate would be piped outside.

canuck the pro :

The next thing would be if the fuel nozzle is clear of debris. Have you checked the nozzle?

Customer:

will do now

canuck the pro :

Very good.

Customer:

OK, I have ordered more oil (although don't think it may be the issue) but also having he lines bled as there may be air and oil in the pipes which is why the boiler is not firing. Failing that I may need to get a Worcester engineer out to give the boiler a service. Thanks for your help today though.

canuck the pro :

Possibly the last fill the filter was not changed? There is the dirty job of replacing the filter or cleaning it is necessary to keep any restriction after filling. Sometimes it is the case that there is air in the line but it should bleed on it's own through the bleed valve.

canuck the pro :

Certainly let me know if I can help further if you decide to continue. I will certainly continue to assist any way I can. Mike

Customer:

OK, thanks for this advice. The last time we had oil delivered was back in October i'm not sure the filter was changed, but we have been in the house for over a year and never had a problem like this before.

canuck the pro :

I would think that it is a very small issue for certain. I would think that the most likely issue is the nozzle or fuel line has a blockage and is a very small issue. The filter may be the issue also if it has not been changed. No doubt a fuel delivery issue related to one of those.

Customer:

Thanks. I will be sure to mention this to the oil engineer before they arrive to check and bleed the lines.

canuck the pro :

Very good. I will be here whenever you need.

canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience: Plumber