Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

Hi: I have an Exbury 15 Electric fire ......it has been installed

Customer Question

Hi: I have an Exbury 15 Electric fire ......it has been installed for about six years. As the instruction book Ref. 08/50124/2 (UK) Issue 2 directs replacement bulbs should be "60WE14 SES Clear Candle lamps " I replaced with these. As these bulbs had a short life and blew the electrics every time they went out. Now, they have blown again, blown the electrics, and only one of the replacement lamps will light. Any ideas please? Vicky
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient with us as these are technical questions and some testing may be required.
It may take a bit of back and forth conversation to be sure we have all the information in order to make a proper diagnosis.
When you say the electrics blew, do you mean the mains for that unit?
Also how long did the bulbs last?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Michael:

I mean the mains, i.e. in the fuse box. Bearing in mind when they are on-most days in winter - they are on for 13/14 hours a day they lasted about six weeks.V

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Vicky,
This sounds about normal but its also possible that you have gotten bad lamps, I see that a lot with these.
The problem is not really the nit itself. It could be a bad main switch in your panel, or simply bad or defective lamps.
I would try one final replacement and let me know how this goes.
I will help you narrow the problem down if it truly is and I will stick with you until this working as it should, since this may take some time, if you will rate my service in a positive fashion thus far before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and also ensure your question will NOT close or time out.
You will then be able to contact me at anytime at no additional cost until we have this fixed for you.

Thank you Vicky;-)
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michael: This might help you: Because the lamps (Supa Lite 60w Clear Candle) were blowing all the time, on the suggestion of Dimplex Parts, I bought 42w( Philips ) lamps as standby. However, the lamp which has blown and put the electrics off was the original Supa Lite. Looking at the blown bulb itself, it has a silvery/black film inside, and the metal 'pip' in the middle of the screw bit has.......disappeared! There is a black 'gunge' around the screw itself power end. The one bulb which is functioning is a Philips. V

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for that Vicky that helps a lot.
That socket will need to be replaced.
You could likely do this yourself if you have few basic hand tools, did you want to do that and also do you need a source for that part?
I will guide you with the replacement;-)
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Michael:

Please outline how the socket could be replaced.............I am disabled so I will have to ask for help........however, if I source the part myself it will lessen the hassle for my helper. When you say socket, is that the black plastic thing the bulb screws into?

Vicky

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi thanks again Vicky, I would let someone else do the install in that case, but yes it will save you money if you get the socket. Ad also yes, that is the black plastic thing the bulb screws into.
I can locate the best source for you Monday morning, they will be open then;-) Sorry for the delay.
But I will stick with you until this is all done.
Please rate kindly so the question wont time out or end, and then the system here will allow me to schedule free follow ups for you.
Thank you Vicky and have a wonderful weekend!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You have a good weekend too Michael. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX will look forward to hearing about the replacement socket stockist on Monday. V

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michael:

Any luck with the info re replacement socket?

V

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Good morning, please try Espares and let me know if they still carry them:
0844 9777 888

Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm, Saturday 9am to 4pm, or 10am to 4pm on Bank Holidays

Calls from within the UK are charged at 5p per minute including VAT from BT landlines, other networks and mobile companies may vary.

For security and training purposes, telephone calls may be recorded or monitored.

Outside the UK? Call us on: +44 (0) 20 7717 5046.

e
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Michael:

As Espares could not help, I rang Dimplex Customer Care. The young man said that I would need a 'complete base assembly (FP07007) ' and referred me to UK Spares. Their website shows this part.

As this is very expensive, could you look at this for me please Michael. Will it be a big job for an electrician?

V

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Vicky,
its a simple job for a repairman, but you may find it a bit more difficult.
In any case i will be here for you until its fixed as it is worth the cost of the repair for this one;-)
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Michael.

Have just ordered the base assembly ( with carriage £91 ) from UK Spares. They say it should be with me tomorrow - very speedy hey?

Good to know you are there.

V

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Vicky, yes they are good but wow thats a lot of money for that silly part lol.
I will be here when you get it in.
Let me know.
Thanks Vicky and have a great day!
Michael
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
y
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Michael. UPS delivered a parcel which I think is the part; haven't opened it; will leave this to the repairman. How would you suggest I find a reliable, qualified electrician for this job we are in Woolton, Liverpool? Thanks V

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Vicky, please try Wooten Heat and air.
If they wont do this for you they may know someone local for you please let me know how it goes or if you need a different source.
Tech Michael
Please call:07888 621 700 or
0151 348 4355
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the suggestion, Michael. Unfortunately, a family crisis demands my immediate attention, so I will have to leave the repair arrangements until I get back home. Will keep you in the loop. Kind regards. V

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, I will be here Vicky I hope everything is alright.
Tech Michael