KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

My Hotpoint WTL500 is thee years old. Has worked well but now

My Hotpoint WTL500 is thee years old. Has worked well but now fails to spin. All other functions appear to work normally and there is no blockage in the drain or discharge pipe.
When it reaches the spin cycle the machine appears to start to spin but then just chugs for a while before trying to spin again.
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 3 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

How old is it ?

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, got it

KevinWhiteJA :

does it make any unusual sound as well ?

Customer:

May be a bit clumpy but nothing extraordinary

KevinWhiteJA :

OK

KevinWhiteJA :

and have you tried to clean it completely ?

Customer:

Yes, all wash functions work and discharge pump works at end of wash and rinse cycles

KevinWhiteJA :

OK...does any of the LEDs flash ?

Customer:

LEDs all appear to light up as normal. Even the spin indicator lights when it should but sadly the drum does not spin. After an appropriate period of chugging the programme moves on to the end. When drum is opened clothes are sopping wet.

KevinWhiteJA :

and the door led is also fine not blinking right ?

Customer:

Does not blink, just stays a steady red until the machine switches off and the lid is free to open

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, just pull it out and lay it by around 45 degrees

KevinWhiteJA :

and from underneath the unit gain access to the drain pump

KevinWhiteJA :

just take off the clips and clean the unit completely

Customer:

OK

KevinWhiteJA :

let me know how it goes

KevinWhiteJA :

make sure it is completely unplugged before you start with cleaning

KevinWhiteJA :

after cleaning it completely plug it back and simultaneously press & hold the START button for around 10 seconds

KevinWhiteJA :

then check the washer again

Customer:

Clips on pipes are fairly inaccessible and this will take a while. Since the machine drains wash water as normal how is further cleaning likely to help solve the problem?

KevinWhiteJA :

The washer drains the water completely before starting a spin cycle...if it is unable to drain it completely it won't even spin..the lid works fine so it is not stopping the washer from spinning ... I believe either something is stuck in there which is causing this problem or the problem is with the drain pump itself

Customer:

Thank you, sounds possible. I will take it apart in the morning and let you know how I get on.

KevinWhiteJA :

sure let me know how it goes..Thanks