Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

My Samsung twin cooling fridge freezer is making lots of noise

My Samsung twin cooling fridge freezer is making lots of noise while cooling, the light is red for the twin cooling system but I cannot find it anywhere in the booklet that says what to do. It's now making so much noise that I've had to unplug it.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Look at the panel behind the drawers in the fridge.
Is there ice there?
Take the panel off (if the machine is over 2 years old).
Is it blocked up with ice?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes there was ice there and I defrosted it last Sunday but the element looking thing is on the outside and I can't take it off.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Do you mean the water bottle? Plastic thing S shaped?

If you had ice on the outside, the inside is blocked with ice and your fan is hitting it (the noise).

You could have a faulty defrost element, failed thermal fuse or a combination of them.

The cure is to first of all fully defrost the appliance, then take the cover off to expose the evaporator.

You then need to test the thermal fuse and heaters.

Once you find out which part has failed, replace it and your machine will work again.

Copy and paste the following into a new browser window.
It's a few videos on the problem you are experiencing.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=samsung%20rs21%20repair&sm=1

The videos, may not be your machine, should help you in testing/rectifying the problem.

If you are unable to do the work yourself, sorry, you'll need to get someone in.
Until it's sorted out, the fridge will ice up and you'll get the noise then silence, followed by the fridge not cooling properly.

Check it out, see what you find and get back to me if you need more help.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes that's it the plastic s shaped thing. It's beginning to ice up again behind it so that does seem to be the problem. So do I just leave it unplugged for a few days to fully defrost it?

What cover comes off to expose the evaporator? Cause I tried to see where I could take it off and can't find anything! Sorry I'm new to this owning a fridge!!

How do I test the thermal fuse and heaters?

Thank you so much for your help
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
No, defrosting it won't cure it unless it's been caused by leaving the door open.

You will need to defrost it to get the cover off though.

You need to take the S shaped part off, it's on plastic tubes and you just carefully lay it on the floor of the fridge.
Then you take the cover off.

Once you have access to the mass of pipework and the electrics, you need to test the items using a multimeter.

I can't teach you how to use one remotely but, copy and paste the following into a new browser window, it will show videos on how to test.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=test%20rs21%20thermal%20fuse&sm=12