canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

I have a Smeg DWF614SS that runs continuously from end of programme

I have a Smeg DWF614SS that runs continuously from end of programme to 19 minutes left without stopping at end. I would be grateful for your help please.
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. Is there any error message?

Customer: No error message. The cycle clock runs down to just before the end and the switches to 19 minutes to go and keeps cycling.
Customer: Hi Mike, I don't think I have expressed that very well. Whatever program I select gets to just before it ends and then re-starts with 19 minutes to run. From that point it runs down to just before the end if 19 minutes and re-sets to 19 minutes and so on. :-)
canuck the pro :

I would have thought a float issue and that could be the case but it is more than likely a control board issue. Are you going to do the repair yourself or are you looking for information before calling someone in?

canuck the pro :

If it isn't very old it is a warranty issue

Customer: I am going to repair my self. I agree with your conclusion but am unfamiliar with where the float switch is as I see that as the cheapest first fix before tackling the control board.
Customer: We are out of warranty.
canuck the pro :

If you look in the base plate of the dishwasher you will see a white coloured polystyrene float. When it rises it actuates a float switch that pulls the drain pump on.

canuck the pro :

If the float switch seems to not be sticking and we do conclude that it is a control board I would still contact Smeg first even though it is out of warranty. Sometimes manufacturers will still warranty out of warranty items. Worth a shot.

Customer: Ok. I'll give that a try tomorrow as I will not get hold of the manufacturer until then. I'll let you know how I get on in due course. Thanks for your help so far. Cheers. :-)
canuck the pro :

You are very welcome. Good luck, we're all counting on you!

canuck the pro :

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mike,

Sorry, but had a busy appliance week. Ended up distracted by having to do a washing machine drum replacement. I'm afraid the float switch was fully operable. I discovered a manufacturing defect while cleaning the sump and finally discovered a fried mains connection tab on the timing pcb. Added up all the bits to put things back in order and have decided to buy a new dishwasher, which is a shame given my efforts.

Thanks for the help. Best regards.

Cass
You are very welcome.