Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

Cup holder is very tight when attempting to attach it to the

Cup holder is very tight when attempting to attach it to the machine. The handle only rotates a quarter turn. Have checked over the machine, everything is clean and nothing is loose.
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient with us as these are technical questions and some testing may be required.
It may take a bit of back and forth conversation to be sure we have all the information in order to make a proper diagnosis.
May I have the full model #?
Also how old it is?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's a Gaggia Classic and it's 3-4 years old. Works fine other than problem described. Descaled and cleaned this morning but makes no difference.

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
are you talking about the brew holder(what holds the coffee)?
thank you
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not the brew holder. It's the unit into which the brew holder fits which we are having trouble putting on the machine. This consists of a handle with a cup at one end into which the brew holder fits. The cup end is attached to the machine by means of a grooved circle. When properly attached the handle should stick out from the machine at a 90 degree angle, however the cup holder will only turn 45 degrees.

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Catherine, yes thats the part I was talking about.
Usually these will become gunked on the outer flanges, of the cup but more on the permanent part on the machine the cup attaches to.
The best way to clean this is with a toothbrush or similar, and with a hot soapy solution you need to scrub the upper flange on a an angle to get at that. Then using Q tips, place some vegetable oil on the cups flange work it a few times and the problem should be solved;-)
I will stick with you in case you need me further on this but since this may take some time, if you will rate my service in a positive fashion thus far before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and also ensure your question will NOT close or time out;-)
You will then be able to contact me at anytime at no additional cost until we have this fixed for you.

Thank you Catherine.
Tech Michael

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank, we will give this a go although we have more or less done this, but have not tried the vegetable oil.

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Ahh, yes, the oil is the key:-)
Please rate kindly i will then be able to set up free follow ups for you!
Have a great day as well!
Tech Michael
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Catherine, please don't forget to rate before closing this window.
tech Michael