Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

Hi, I have a Bosch Classixx tumble dryer - E Nr WTE84103GB/08.

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Bosch Classixx tumble dryer - E Nr WTE84103GB/08. It is a condenser converted to drain through a pipe from the back. About 2 years ago, the thermostat was replaced and it worked fine until recently, when it started to get an intermittent fault. If a sufficiently large load is put in the drier, it will start and then, after about 2 minutes, stop with the condenser light flashing. I have cleaned the filters and the removable heat exchange unit and associated area, but to no avail. I also noticed that quite a pool of water was building up just underneath the heat exchange unit.

What, short of a trip to Currys, can I do?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
When you say the condenser light is flashing, is it the filter light or the water bottle full light?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry - I got the name wrong. It is called the container light, the one above the filter light. But of course, the container is not the issue, because of the modification to vent to the drain.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.

The container light is controlled by a float switch at the pump reservoir.
This is the likely fault, a blocked pump and/or reservoir.

Unplug the appliance.
Take the top and side panels off. (some need a screw removed on the front, some have a hidden screw underneath the side panel).

Follow the drain hose back and you'll come to the pump.
Take the pump out, clean it out, clean out the reservoir.

Reassemble it all and try again.
If the pump, wiring and control are all ok, it should be working again.

If still the same, you need to check the pump is ok first.

Hope this helps
Let me know how it goes or if you need more help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay - I may not get to this now, until Thursday - work demands. But I think I can follow that through. Will get back to you, then.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
No problem, just post when you can

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi again,

Well, I tried that but ran into difficulties getting at the water pump. I wasn't able to find a way of removing the plastic cage that houses the pump without risking breaking it. I did manage to get at the sink underneath the condenser housing (it's just beside the pump) and suck out the water, but after three lots of washing, the container light came back on and I have not been able to sue the thing, since. Have you any advice on how to get that housing off the pump? Will it matter particularly if I snap any part of it and repair with (say) insulating tape?

Cheers

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
There's 2 types that have been used, a clip on cage and a screw on cage.

If there's no screws the cage simply clips into place.
You just need to work out where the clips are to unclip it.

If you break the clips, you could use tape to secure it.