KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

Smeg ing oven. Oven not heatinbg up. Grill still works ok.

Smeg ing oven. Oven not heatinbg up. Grill still works ok. Thermostat still working ok. Tried looking for all loose connections but found none. Can u help. Already paid by M/S card
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 3 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

Please tell me its complete model number

KevinWhiteJA :

and how old is it ?

Customer:

SE335SS/5 integral smeg oven

Customer:

apporx 8 years old

KevinWhiteJA :

OK

KevinWhiteJA :

when you turn it on does the temperature light on the front comes on ?

Customer:

yes but only when i turn the thermostat on

KevinWhiteJA :

and does the fan work ?

Customer:

the oven element works for the grill, but not when i change to fan oven function

Customer:

yes the oven lights comes on when i turn oven on, just re checked, sorry

KevinWhiteJA :

and does the fan work ?

Customer:

r u still there?

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes

KevinWhiteJA :

just want to know if the fan is working ?

Customer:

yes fine

KevinWhiteJA :

OK

KevinWhiteJA :

as the fan works fine and the temperature light is coming on, then the most likely cause of the problem is a failure of the circular element in the oven.

KevinWhiteJA :

can you test it with a multimeter ?

Customer:

no, I just a women doing her best. All i have tried to do was try the grill and the large element which is at the top of the oven heats up 4 the grill and I assume this element is the same for the oven!

Customer:

do not have a nultimeter

KevinWhiteJA :

this is the element for the fan

KevinWhiteJA :

if you want to do it yourself you will have to take the rear off the unit with the unit unplugged completely

Customer:

oh, so why dose this element heat up for the grill and not for the oven... where is the oven element then

KevinWhiteJA :

Smeg SE335SS-5 Grill/Oven Element
Full Size Image

KevinWhiteJA :

this is the grill element

KevinWhiteJA :

and this one is the fan oven element

KevinWhiteJA :

Full Size Image

Customer:

yes ok this u can see at the top of the oven... are u saying the oven element is in the back of the oven then

Customer:

is the image above the oven element then

KevinWhiteJA :

There are 2 types, one is held from the front by screws, the other is held from the rear by nuts.....You will have to first take the rear panel inside the oven out which will reveal the element and the fan and then take the screws holding the element in place out.Bring the element and the wiring into the oven cavity.

KevinWhiteJA :

yes the round one is the oven element

KevinWhiteJA :

if you can test with the multimeter it will tell us if that is bad

KevinWhiteJA :

from what you have described it is more likely the fan oven element

Customer:

So, the fan oven element is behind the back plate of the inside of the oven.... if this is the case i will need to check this by using a multimeter. How will i check this, I know I now need to have a word with my brother who will have a multimeter.

KevinWhiteJA :

just test them with a multi meter for continuity

KevinWhiteJA :

no continuity means bad element

KevinWhiteJA :

if it tests fine let me know

Customer:

ok, will testing this do i need to have power on whil testing it

KevinWhiteJA :

no please make sure it is completely unplugged and set the meter to its lowest setting

Customer:

or do u just test it while all power is off at the mains

Customer:

ok, i now understand. what type of reading r we looking for if element has damaged

Customer:

hi still waiting as I can not do at the moment, as it will be a few days b4 I can get my brother here with me.

KevinWhiteJA :

Please don't rate the solution till the time you are completely satisfied...If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

Customer:

ok, many thanks for your help. Shall I press reply now or just come out

KevinWhiteJA :

You're welcome....Excellent feedback is appreciated if you are satisfied with my assistance....You can hit reply later...Have a Good Evening :)

KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Worked on appliances for more than 15 years