Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I can not open the door on my indesit washing machine. It

I can not open the door on my indesit washing machine. It only a a medium size cushion in it, it spud for two minutes then spurred out electrics. No door lock signal, unplugged, retried wash but only flashes that working but not doing anything. It may have water in drum, unable to open door to find out. Please help. many thanks Sam
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok if theres water in there then it will stop the door from opening.

Can you post the model number please. Its usually printed on the front control panel.

Also are you getting any flashing lights from it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

IWD5123 is the model.

No flashing lights, just timer run down when try to drain.

How do I drain the water?

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok what you need to do is remove the front plastic trim at the bottom on the front.

There you will see the filter on the right hand side.

Get a shallow tray under there and slacken the filter and slowly drain the water from there.

Once the water is out then you can fully remove the filter and give it a good clean out and also make sure the pump impeller at the back isn't jammed up.

Once the water is out leave the washer turned off and the door should open then.

Then retry the washer and see how it goes from there once the filter is clear.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Strangely enough I cleaned out filter last week. I have drained from filter, quite alot of water but unfortunately door not opening. Cushion still looks very wet.

I tried on drain cycle too but to no avail.

Any other ideas please.

sam

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok have you unplugged the washer from the socket and left it a few minutes?

If so then give the door handle a good bang and see if this shocks the door into opening.

If this still isn't opening then it may be a snapped door handle. What you need to do for this is pull washer out and remove the top.

From there look down the front on the inside on the right and you will see the door lock.

Make sure its unplugged and reach down to the lock on the left side and you will feel the door pin poking through there.

Push this door pin to the left and at the same time pull the door handle and it should open from there.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not the sort of thing i want or need to be doing on my son's birthday.

Tried all of above, struggled to get top off and again to no avail. Can see silver pin, pushed to left with screwdriver whilst pulling door handle. I have a feeling that it is forbidding me to open door because of weight inside.

Sorry, any other ideas.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok if you cannot open the door by pushing the door pin then im afraid you are looking at a faulty door lock.

Not the easyist thing to open when these fail as what you need to do is hold the lock and actually break it off the lugs. Hold it and wiggle it up and down , forwards and backwards and it will break of the lug and just lift the lock off the door hook.

Once that's broken off you can open the door from there then check the door handle and make sure its not broken as well and then from there replace the door lock.

Not an easy thing to do im afraid when the lock fails like this but the only way to open it is to break the door lock off thast what we have to do.