Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

iwdc6105 no spin/dry working- door light on red and door locked

Customer Question

iwdc6105 no spin/dry working- door light on red and door locked - checked drain + pump - all clear - any manual way of opeing door
thanks
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

What seems to be the fault here as im not sure what you mean by ''no spin/dry working''

Is it the door wont open?

Is there any water inside the washer?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the spin or dry cycles do nothing - the door is locked with red light on - the water did drain out (except for a cupfull from checking filter/pump at front) so no water in washer

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok so if you stop the washer and leave it a few minutes will the door release and allow you to open the door?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

tried switching off for hours - when switched back on red locked light back on and left for minutes with no change

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok so even with the power off the door still didn't open?

Turn it back off again and wait 3 minutes and then give the door handle a good bang with the side of your fist and see if this shocks the door into opening and let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok will try that - even if door opens but assuming same symptoms occur - is there anything else I can check - I'm pretty happy testing with a multimeter/replacing parts etc and am trying to avoid a call-out/new mc since wont need it in a couple of months anyway

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

tried banging lock area both on and off - no joy

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok if you do get the door open then retry and see how it goes from there if it starts a washes again then gets stuck and door wont open then its possibley a door lock fault.

But what happens a lot on these indesit washers which I thought yours was at first is when the door locks and the door light flashes but wont start its the carbon brushes in the motor. As they wear down and stop the washer from starting up. But this wont stop the door from opening that's whats throwing me.

So check the door lock and the carbon brushes in the motor as you may find its one of these at fault here.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for info but I cant get door open to replace door lock - and it would be a big coincidence that the motor and door lock have failed at same time - is there a sensor which detects the water level to stop door opening AND would stop any of cycles starting? wash/drain/spin/dry all not starting - when left on for ages all lights flash and door still locked

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I didn't see your other reply saying the door still isn't opening.

If the door still isn't opening even with the power off you need to remove the top and locate the pressure switch on the side. It will have a thin tube going to the bottom, pull this tube off and refit it. This is the sensor you was asking about but to be honest this doesn't usually stop the door from opening as when the power is removed from the door lock it should release no matter if its still full of water or not but worth checking just in case.

If still not opening then look down the front on the inside on the right and you will see the door lock.

Make sure its unplugged and reach down there and feel the left side of the locka nd you will feel the door pin.

Push this pin to the left and at the same time pull the door handle and see if it will open then.

If not then the door lock is faulty and will need to be broken off to get at it.

I don't think it will be both the lock and the motor. I was saying for the faulty you describe it can be one of the other but as the door isn't opening its looking more like a door lock fault.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

only tube I can see I reseated (at water inlet manifold - does that also detect some sort of back pressure from bottom?!)

tried moving pin - I can move it by hand and feel it moving by pulling door handle as well - no dice

Are you saying to break the lock off from inside of case and hope I can replace that?

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

The pressure switch is round and will have a few wires on it and the tube will be going to the bottom of the washer. Its usually on the right hand side.

As to breaking it off yes its from inside the washer.

Hold it and wiggle it up and down forwards and backwards and it will break off the lugs.

Not the easyist thing to do but it will break off.

Once its off you can then open the door and replace the door lock from there.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Found pressure tube at front on right - reseated - no change.

Thanks for your advice - we didn't solve it but it was logical and eliminated the common causes

Will rate as good advice

So I have to decide to either cane the door lock and hope that's it - 20 quid part or callout 100+ or new mc - need a couple of stellas to think this one thru

Cheers

Tony

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FYI managed to lever door open from front with large flat head screwdriver next to locking pin

Opened door lock and (see attached image) copper has completely burnt through

Thats a big current or a dodgy component and my trip switches didn't blow

Have you seen this before?

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Yeap ive seen these fail like this before so the door lock will need to be replaced.

But you need to check the control board at the back at the bottom as sometimes the door lock can also blow the control board as well so check that and see what you find.