Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I have a Thorn Dryline 296 (otherwise known as 37296) tumble

Customer Question

I have a Thorn Dryline 296 (otherwise known as 37296) tumble dryer on which the belt has snapped. I want to replace the belt but can't see how to release the control panel so that the sides and top single panel can be lifted off. Can you help, please?
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi please look at the front panel,
in between the top and the front, look carefully for a metal clip one near each end on the front, do you see that, you may need a flashlight.
Please let me know if you see this, they are about 1 inch wide.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Michael,

I've levered the front panel forwards very slightly and shone a torch in. I think I am seeing a clip but can't be 100% certain and don't want to risk levering the panel any further out. What I'm seeing is at the extreme bottom edge of the panel and is about 0.5 in from top to bottom - I can't tell the width. I'm looking from the front of the machine, by the way. I will need to take the back off again if you want me to look from there?

David.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi David, there should be one on each end a few inches in from the sides but between the top and the front panel.
If it is the clip you see, use a flat putty knife or something flat and press hard against it, to op it off, you will need to apply a bit of upward pressure on the top, do one at a time.first the left, then the right clip that way.
Once the top is up out of the way, there are a couple of screws on the front panel inside to remove the front.
I will stick with you until this job is complete but since this may take some time, if you will rate my service in a positive fashion thus far before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and also ensure your question will NOT close or time out;-)
You will then be able to contact me at anytime at no additional cost until we have this fixed for you.

Thank you David.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Michael,

Thanks for the extra info - am in the process of removing the control panel as advised. Left hand end is off but haven't yet removed right hand end - proving more difficult, it's behind the timer knob. Do I need to remove the knob to make it easier? If so, how?

In the meantime, I will persevere!

David

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi David,
You shouldn't need to remove the timer.
With the top up, you should have access to the front panel which needs to come off to allow you to slip on the new belt.
Please let me know where you are with that?
Also since this may take a bit of time please rate kindly before closing this page so I can keep this question open at no additional cost to you;-)
Tech Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Michael,

Success, I think! Control panel off after a struggle, front panel off, wiring disconnected and can now see drum and pulley. Hopefully, the pulley support will come out easily then the rest should be straightforward. Anything else I should look out for?

David.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi David are you sure of the belt routing?
Other than that, your in good shape!
Have a great day Dave!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Michael,

The drum has no groove in it for the belt but I can see where the previous one was positioned. Regarding the pulley, I'm assuming that the spring comes off, the post (with the pulley attached to its top) unclips from the base and I can then get at the pulley wheel to slip the belt over it. Does that sound ok?

Many thanks again,

David.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dave yup no groove it will settle where it needs to when its installed:-)
As for the tensioner pulley, that needs to be left on, and the belt goes around the motor shaft, then loops so the belt will be tight when you install it.
Did yours come with an installation page? A diagram?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michael

Sorry about delay, stopped for a meal!

There is no installation page or diagram, the machine was bought by my partner many years ago and no paperwork remains. A diagram would certainly be helpful - or a video? Have looked high and low for useful stuff for this machine but found none, probably because it's so ancient. I was quite surprised to find that spare belts are still available.

I won't be doing any fitting until the weekend but I wanted to make sure I knew exactly what needed to be done before starting so any help with fitting the belt would be useful as my assumption is wrong. Have fitted many vacuum cleaner belts but they don't have tensioners.

David.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thats ok we all have to eat!
Here is a looooog link, please copy the whole thing into your web browser.
Its a video of how to set the belt, its not for your machine but it should help quite a bit!
In the middle is what you need.
https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AtdVogjgAAtHjLa6UqRO8EubvZx4?p=how+to+replace+a+dryer+belt&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-901
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michael

Many thanks for your very helpful advice, I'll have a look tomorrow and compare it with my machine.

David.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dave, good luck talk to you then;-)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Michael,

Sorry not to have got back to you earlier. Belt arrived Mon (didn't want to order it until I was sure the job was manageable), fitted it Tues. Ran the machine but drum turning very slowly. Checked again today and discovered that I had put the end of the tensioning spring in the wrong slot! Idiot!. Anyway, I could get to it by unfastening the bottom of one side so all is well - everything working normally.

Thank you again for all your help and support, it is greatly appreciated and helped me to decide to repair the machine rather than replace it.

Best wishes,

David.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome David!
I am so glad I could help!!!
Have a great day you dont need to reply to this message unless you need me further.
Tech Michael