Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

iwb5113uk washer blew circuit breaker,replaced door interlock

iwb5113uk washer blew circuit breaker,replaced door interlock now motor only runs for less than a second
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Are you getting any flashing lights from it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, a POP from the underside of the motor then it cuts out.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok so you actually see the motor popping.

Try and unplug the washer and see if it will fill and run without the drum turning and see if it doesn't cut out then.

Is there any signs of burning on the motor wiring block?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no sign of burning on wiring block.

motor unplugged washer tried to fill then stopped as abruptly as when motor was connected. Now NO action from washer at all

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok if the control board is picking up the motor is disconnected. Some models it will carry on with the motor disconnected other don't.

But if its popping from the motor and the brushes are fine then the motor is faulty and will need to be replaced. But also check the control board at the back to the left of the motor as sometimes the motor can blow the control board as well.

Take the board out and see if theres any signs of burning on there.

But given the price of the motor you can get Indesit in to fix it on there fixed price repair for the same price. Plus if it has blown the board they can fit a new one and programme it up for the same price which is about £105 total including all parts and labour.

But from what you say at the very least the motor will need to be replaced.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

cheers,

Thought it was. I have a new motor but I'm reluctant to put it on in case I damage it. I have it on 14 day return. The diameter of the shaft for the belt is also smaller than that of the original, also smaller "V"s where the belt fits. Suppose I could get a new belt?

Think I'm asking you if I should try motor without belt on obviously. what do you recon.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

H

To be honest I cannot see it damaging the new motor.

If it was a control board you were fitting then I would say becareful but a new motor shouldn't be a problem to be honest.

As to the belt part it may still work as some pulleys on motors are different but it doesn't affect the belt so try fitting the belt as it may just work.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Same result with new motor. Does that mean the board is kaput. I'm afraid my knowledge is now totally exhausted.

Thanks for your help. Replace a board I could probably cope with but when you talk about programming. Not me!

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Yeap im afraid its looking like its taken the board out as to be honest when a motor blows it can take it out quite often.

Now boards on these are sold blank so needs the programming software to program it up which if buying it isn't worth it as a board plus the programming kit is about £250 marks and as I said before Indesit will call out and fix it fro about £105 all in so its a lot cheaper for them to do it.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.