canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

Hi there, I have a Hoover Optima 6 kg 1600 OPH 616 washing

Hi there, I have a 'Hoover Optima 6 kg 1600 OPH 616' washing machine, it is not responding to any controls although there is power and lights. We recently had the control board replaced but we're now outside of our repair warranty. I believe the control board has been damaged by excess foam... is that possible? would it be quite easy to replace myself? we had an engineer come out 3 times, but it's £120 a pop so I would like to repair it myself. Initially the drive belt (VHD8142-80) was replaced then the control board. If you could give me instructions on how to replace the control board and/or what part to buy, that would be helpful. Thank you
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. IF you are handy it is not difficult. When you say damaged by foam how do you mean?

Customer:

Hi Mike, ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX plumber so I'm handy. I placed a wash of soapy cloths into the machine and foam filled the drum during the wash, not long after that the machine malfunctioned with the symptoms i described. I flushed out the filter but it made no difference

canuck the pro :

If you access the board you may find there is simply a loose connector. Often there is evidence if the board is damaged like scorch marks. Here is a video that shows how to access the board if you want to inspect. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcgN-1oQ4Ks

Customer:

ok thank you will have look

canuck the pro :

Great. If you have further questions I will be here.

Customer:

ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX know what PCB is required for my machine, as in code number and also what supplier is best to use?

canuck the pro :

I usually remove the board and order by the numbers on the board. Cross reference with the model number. I don't really have a specific supplier that I use. Shopjimmy is a good source for parts. It depends on a lot of situations such as availability and price. Sometimes I will get them off of Ebay. Most times it is advertised as new but I doubt they are as many are salvaged from machines that were damaged in shipping and situations like that. I especially use Ebay when I am getting parts for myself or when the difference in price to new is very large. So I guess to make a short story long, I would cross reference the model number with the numbers on the board and find the match on Ebay that is the best mix of price and newness and warranty. I never order from anyone that does not allow returns as about 30% will end up being DOA.

canuck the pro :

Have you had trouble rating? Many have had trouble today with rating my service. If so then I can have it done manually.

canuck the pro :

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?