emianplumbing
emianplumbing, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a General plumber working with building projects and small appliances on a daily basis
63187465

I have a Rayburn Heatranger 460-499K Oil fired Cooker ,about

Customer Question

I have a Rayburn Heatranger 460-499K Oil fired Cooker ,about 10 years old and the heating part keeps cutting out .Sometimes shortly after switching on at low heat and sometimes after 1-2 hrs .I have had the control box replaced and a complete service carried out. Help please JBK
Expert:  emianplumbing replied 3 years ago.

emianplumbing :

Hi when you say cutting out do you mean the red lock out is coming on on the burner. or does it go to an overheat reset. thanks

JACUSTOMER-mg60y08g- :

The red light comes on and it shuts down ,that is the light at the foot of the cooker. sometimes by pressing this light it resets and sometimes it cuts out again straight away JBK

emianplumbing :

When it was serviced I presume the nozzle was replaced, and pump pressure and emissions were checked. So this leaves two potential suspects. that is the Solenoid coil or the Photocell, either of these will create this type of random lockout.

JACUSTOMER-mg60y08g- :

Are the Solenoid coil and or the Photocell replacable

emianplumbing :

Oh yes most certainly. I think also they are the same burner on the oven and the heating so if you were prepared to lose the oven for a day you could swap them over to see if it works, try the solenoid coil first you will find it on top of the oil pump its a little black box with with a wire from it that usually just unplugs. It looks like this.

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-mg60y08g- :

I had both solenoid coils swapped to day ,but it cut out soon afterwards I will try the photocell to morrow JBK

emianplumbing :

When it was serviced and the nozzle was changed, were the emissions checked with an analyser and what were the readings please.