KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

Our Beko Freezer Model TZDA 568 FW (Tall frost-free 6.9 cu.ft.)

Customer Question

Our Beko Freezer Model TZDA 568 FW (Tall frost-free 6.9 cu.ft.) is stuck at -5 degrees C.
I put it on fast-freeze overnight, but it is still at -5 C.
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 2 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

How old is it ?

KevinWhiteJA :

Do you also hear any unusual sounds from the appliance?

JACUSTOMER-66j7g1g4- :

No unusual noises: just a steady motor hum

KevinWhiteJA :

OK and how old is it ?

JACUSTOMER-66j7g1g4- :

Purchased 13/3/2009

JACUSTOMER-66j7g1g4- :

Serial No XXXXXXXXXX /p>

JACUSTOMER-66j7g1g4- :

Colour White

JACUSTOMER-66j7g1g4- :

My eyes are brown

JACUSTOMER-66j7g1g4- :

A helpful suggestion could be ....er .... helpful !

KevinWhiteJA :

:) I hope you understand, we need to know few things about the appliance before I can tell you what the problem is

KevinWhiteJA :

The problem is due to the defrost system of the unit, the extra frost that occurs at the back of the fridge prevents the compressor to cool the refrigerator. This frost will block the evaporator fan motor from blowing the cold air around and the fan blade can also hit this frost and either becomes noisy or stop altogether. If you have already checked the rear of the unit and there is no ice & the fan works fine then the problem is with the defrost thermostat or defrost heater...however..replacing both is recommended

KevinWhiteJA :

Please don't rate the solution till the time you are completely satisfied...If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

JACUSTOMER-66j7g1g4- :

Thanks Kevin

KevinWhiteJA :

You can get back to me if you need any assistance and I will help with no additional charges.....Is there anything else I can assist you with today ?

JACUSTOMER-66j7g1g4- :

Thanks Kevin, your diagnosis ccould explain why there is slight frosting in the air duct at the top front of the unit. We have now written off the contents of the freezer and switched it off. Getting to the rear is not easy, as access is very limited. I can rock the freezer foward a little, but have you any tips for easing the base of the beast forward??

KevinWhiteJA :

You can just pull it out and when the ice is melted I think it can be easily accessed

KevinWhiteJA :

let me know how it goes

JACUSTOMER-66j7g1g4- :

I'm not finding your replies very helpful. Can you tell me exactly where the defrost fan and defrost heater are located, and how to access them?

KevinWhiteJA :

the fan that I am talking about is the evaporator fan ... defrost heater and thermostat can be accessed after you take off the controls from inside the unit... let me know if this helps

JACUSTOMER-66j7g1g4- :

There is only one control, which is the temperature control knob. I'll try getting under this and get back to you tomorrow!

KevinWhiteJA :

ok no problem

JACUSTOMER-66j7g1g4- :

Under the control knob is just a small PCB with two sets of wires leading off.What next, Kevin?

KevinWhiteJA :

and does it look fine ?

JACUSTOMER-66j7g1g4- :

Yes all components look fine

KevinWhiteJA :

ok

KevinWhiteJA :

and you do not hear any different sounds like a hum etc and the fan runs fine ?

KevinWhiteJA :

if the answer is yes then you will have to pull the unit out...take the back off the unit and then check the parts in the defrost system from the back...the control is working fine and I believe the compressor is running fine as well

JACUSTOMER-66j7g1g4- :

I can hear the fan running and there is also a gentle throbbing, presumably from the compressor?

KevinWhiteJA :

ok, can you pull it out and take the back off

JACUSTOMER-66j7g1g4- :

Not easy! In fact almost impossible without a furniture moving jaack

JACUSTOMER-66j7g1g4- :

Forget that. We've managed to shift it. What am I looking for now?

KevinWhiteJA :

first check the compressor, is it too hot to touch ?

Also check if there is ice build up there ...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The freezer has been switched off so compressor is cold. I'll turnit on again for a few hours and get back to you.

Alright no problem ... let me know, thanks.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

You can get back to me if you need any assistance and I will help with no additional charges.....Please don't rate the solution till the time you are completely satisfied...Excellent feedback is appreciated...Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Right. It's been running on fast freeze for about 3 hours now. The compressor is just warm to the touch and the inside temperature has only dropped to about plus 5 C. Can't see any ice anywhere.

OK, as the temperature is now plus 5 C and there is no ice anywhere let it work for sometime and check if it stops again or if ice build up is there
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ran it for over 7 hours on fast freeze. No odd noises. Fan and compressor sound as though they are running properly. No sign of ice anywhere. Temperature is down to minus 5C, which is where we started. Can't find any access to fan etc though the back of the freezer, but there appears to be a removable panel in the inside roof of the freezer. I took out the five screws that I could see, but cannot budge the panel.

OK, I believe the problem is with the defrost control or the PCB itself that is bad..if you are unable to remove the panel inside the roof then it is better to get a repair engineer involved..

Kevin