KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

I have a Philips Ambilight 32PF9967D/10 and it has developed

I have a Philips Ambilight 32PF9967D/10 and it has developed a fault.

When I switch on a Blue LED is on at the front of the set below the screen and the Ambilite glows dimly.

After about a second the screen goes to blue for a short time and then the screen and the ambilite switch off and a RED LED starts to flash a sequence of on - - on on on - on -- on on on recurring with the Blue LED lit all the time.

Does this sequence indicate a specific problem?

Thanks in anticipation,

Regards,

XXXXX XXXXX.
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 3 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi Mr. Cook

KevinWhiteJA :

Welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

How old is it ?

KevinWhiteJA :

also can you please count number of Red flashes and tell me how many times does the RED LED blink ?

Customer:

I bought the set in 2005

Customer:

The red flashes once then after about a second it flashes 3 times and this sequence recurs

Customer:

When I try to affect the set by pressing buttons on the remote the red light flashes six times and repeats after a timelag of about a second

KevinWhiteJA :

OK

KevinWhiteJA :

can you unplug it and then plug it back after 3 minutes

KevinWhiteJA :

simultaneously press and hold the Standby button for 10 seconds

KevinWhiteJA :

then count number of RED flashes and let me know

Customer:

I have already tired that several times, the fault started last night and when I couldn't get it on I switched it off and it was left off until around 1pm today. The manual did not have any fault finding section suitable so I tried the internet but I have tried switching the set of for varying time periods already.

Customer:

Not tired I meant Tried

KevinWhiteJA :

OK

KevinWhiteJA :

Those flashing lights indicate power supply or main board problem...as it flashes 3 times as well so it can be either due to either sustain or scan driver board that can cause this problem

KevinWhiteJA :

if you have electronic experience then you will have to take the back off the unit to check the power supply and main board

KevinWhiteJA :

if you want to DIY then let me know and I will help you with it

KevinWhiteJA :

however, if not then the repair will cost around £180 to £220 depending on which board is causing this problem

Customer:

I am a qualified sparks but not a TV technician. I have no problem with trying a repair but it would be better for me to try tomorrow as I have to go out shortly

Customer:

If I take the back off this evening what should I look for?

KevinWhiteJA :

First check the board where the main cables connect to

Customer:

Are you expecting for me to find a broken connection?

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes or a loose solder joint or may be defective capacitors (most common cause for blinking red lights)

Customer:

The flashing lights are not random but have two definite sequences, would faulty capacitors cause that or random flashing?

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes most likely the main board

Customer:

If I try to find the problem tonight will I still be able to contact you to discuss what I find or will that constitute another repair and additional charges?

KevinWhiteJA :

No you don't have to pay additional charges....If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service ....Thanks

Customer:

I haven't used this service before, should I just bookmark this page to speak at a later time or do I have to quote a reference for the call on the justanswer website?

KevinWhiteJA :

After you rate this service you will receive an email and you can REPLY from there

Customer:

Thanks for your help Kevin, I'll rate it now and hopefully speak again tomorrow. Thanks again.

KevinWhiteJA :

You're welcome John....Excellent feedback is appreciated if you are satisfied with my assistance....Have a Good Day :)

Customer:

Hello again, I tried to rate the service but I get a message saying that the engineer has not finished so I am unable to click on any of the faces

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, I will exit the session so that you can rate...may be there is some issue here :) Thanks

Customer:

No luck Kevin still not able to rate do I have to click save and exit first?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Kevin,

I have removed the back off the set and have checked the connections to the boards and they all seem to be clean, good connections.

I can't see any obvious damage to any capacitors, are there any signs that I should be looking for?

Regards,

John.

Hi John

Can you check other side of the board for any loose/dry solder joints...also check all the boards carefully.

Kevin
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Kevin,

The set is now working again, Whilst I was waiting for your reply I tried the standard sparks repair by tapping the items on the board with the handle of a small screw driver then I tried the set again and it worked.

So it seems the components are in good order but there is either a loose connection or a dry joint so I will use the set until it fails again and when it does fail I will remove the board and check all solder connecions.

Thanks very much for all of your help

regards,

John

:) That is Great John...Thanks again for Positive Rating.

Kevin