canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

My hotpoint ultima hug61 main oven is lighting but stayin on

Customer Question

My hotpoint ultima hug61 main oven is lighting but stayin on small flame and not pre heating oven or doing anything else. Wondering is there something I can do or is it likely to be a paart needs changing
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is Mike and I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today.The igniter glows red then the gas valve opens to ignite the gas..If you are not seeing a glow then you either have no power to the igniter or the igniter is faulty..You would then need to test power to the igniter..Most likely the igniter is faulty..You can take a flashlight inspect the element of the igniter..If its burnt up or broken then replace the igniter.

JACUSTOMER-bmh3vxcn- :

Thanks. But it is igniting but normally stays on small flame for awhile then goes big untill oven is at temperature. But this is not happening. Just ignites an flame stays small

canuck the pro :

Does it go out again or just stay on small flame? When you adjust the settings does the flame change size?

canuck the pro :

How old is the oven also?

canuck the pro :

If the oven is about 6-8 years old that would be about the age that the igniter fails. If the igniter is not pulling enough voltage it will not open the gas valve all the way. This is to avoid gas filling the oven and igniting as a safety device.

canuck the pro :

Very likely the issue is still the igniter needing replacing.

canuck the pro :

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?

canuck the pro :

Were you able to replace the igniter and solve the issue?

canuck the pro :

Any comment at all will help get us going. I am here to help any time you are ready. Mike

canuck the pro :

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful? If you have any questions at all please let me know. If it was the information you were looking for please indicate that you are ready to positively rate my service. Thank you, Mike