canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

I have a Side by Side Refrierator Model HAFEX/EXP DA29-10105J

I have a Side by Side Refrierator Model HAFEX/EXP DA29-10105J The Water dispenser has stopped working. I have defrosted the fridge in case the waster tank was frozen, now the fridge will not cool and is still on 14c after 2 hours with power cooler on. The freezer section is workin ok.
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. Do you have any frost in the freezer?

Customer:

Not now as I have completely defrosted it but there was frost before

canuck the pro :

Alright, you may want to check the evaporator in the back. You would have to remove the back panel and see if it is iced up. Still no water on the water dispenser? Have you changed the filter?

Customer:

I dont think I could do that as I am not very good with mechanical things. The filter was changed a few weeks ago and the water dispenser was ok until the other day

canuck the pro :

Ok well, I will try to help as much as I can. I am glad that you will stay within your comfort level so that you do not get into something that is uncomfortable for you. The water dispenser would have to be determined by where the water stops. All of it may be fixed by completely emptying the fridge and freezer and unplugging it. Let it defrost with the doors open for at least 24 hours. Make sure it is in a heated area so that any ice will melt. Hopefully any ice that has formed on the evaporator will only have formed because the door was left open too long and we can also hope that there is not a mechanical fault. The line that feeds the water dispenser may also simply be frozen in the door. It happens often and defrosting with the doors open may be all that is needed to do. Otherwise it might be best to get a tech in to check to see if the heater on your evaporator is failing or something else may be at issue.

Customer:

Today I defrosted the fridge and left doors open and also put bowls of hot water inside it to speed it up. I would have to get my son in law to unscrew the back and check it. Would this be the reason that it is not cooling down inside, it has now cooled down to 13c with the power cooler on but that has taken several hours

canuck the pro :

How long had you let it defrost?

Customer:

About 4 hours

canuck the pro :

That was not long enough. It sounds like there is ice on the evaporator and when you defrosted it started to defrost it but didn't quite get it melted all the way. This can happen from the door being left open by accident or an item in the freezer blocking the vent. The line for the water dispenser had also likely frozen. There isn't really an easy way to defrost the line in the door without defrosting again. The evaporator can be defrosted by opening the back and heating with a hair dryer.

canuck the pro :

If you want to take care of it yourself without having to get too technical it will tell us a lot if you defrost it as you did with it unplugged and doors open for 24 hrs.

Customer:

Ok I will try this now and see what happens in 24 hours. If it does not work do Samsung have Engineers to call out or who would I go to ?

canuck the pro :

Do you still have your manual?

Customer:

Yes

canuck the pro :

In the back of the manual will be contact info for Samsung and they can recommend qualified techs in your area. I hope you don't need em. I think there is a very good chance you will not need them.

Customer:

Have already checked the manual but there is no contact that I can see just a troubleshooting page, maybe I can get is from their website. Anyway will do what you have suggested first.

canuck the pro :

Very good. Here is a link to Samsung customer service UK http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/

Customer:

Thank you. Is this just a one off enquiry or does the fee allow me to come back to you if necessary

canuck the pro :

Sure you can come back and I will respond always.

canuck the pro :

and you are very welcome

Customer:

Thank you very much. Have a good night, Mavis

canuck the pro :

You too, Mavis.