KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

Hi Appliance is a Seimens iq300 washer-dryer (WKD320GB/03)

Appliance is a Seimens iq300 washer-dryer (WKD320GB/03) and the tumble dryer has stopped working. Basically, it spins ok but fails to heat up.

If it is opened up, you can see the heat limiter has tripped. If the whole thing is left to cool down, the limiter reset and a new dry cycle is started; it works fine for 5-10min but then the heating element flicks off again.

Question is what part might need replacing?

Any help much appreciated!
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 3 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

How old is it ?

Customer:

2.5yrs

KevinWhiteJA :

can you please recheck the model number

KevinWhiteJA :

WKD320GB/03 seems incorrect

KevinWhiteJA :

it starts with E NR

Customer:

Sorry WK14D320GB/03

KevinWhiteJA :

ok thanks

KevinWhiteJA :

and you have already tried to reset it by pressing the reset at the back...right ?

KevinWhiteJA :

in some models it is located inside the front after you remove the fascia

Customer:

No I haven't, the position of the appliance is very awkward. Where is it exactly and what does this reset do? The one I have been resetting is on the heat limiter itself.

KevinWhiteJA :

by heat limiter do you mean heating element ?

Customer:

If it is behind the fascia, is it on the control board?

Customer:

I'll send you the link to the seimens tech drawing. One second

KevinWhiteJA :

ok

Customer:

There is a tiny reset switch on this part much must cut off the heating element

KevinWhiteJA :

a moment please

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes ok that is the one I was talking about

KevinWhiteJA :

there is no other reset

KevinWhiteJA :

can you test it with a multimeter

KevinWhiteJA :

I mean the heating element

Customer:

Hmmm, I'd have to go out and buy a multimeter. Do you think the heating element might be the fault? It heats up ok.

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes I believe the problem is heating element itself ....solution is based on this statement : Basically, it spins ok but fails to heat up. If it is opened up, you can see the heat limiter has tripped. If the whole thing is left to cool down, the limiter reset and a new dry cycle is started; it works fine for 5-10min but then the heating element flicks off again.

KevinWhiteJA :

If you want you can test it before replacing

KevinWhiteJA :

if the element has continuity then it is fine and it will be the control that will need replacement ( but this is very unlikely )

KevinWhiteJA :

a new element will cost around £25

KevinWhiteJA :

Please don't rate the solution till the time you are completely satisfied...If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

Customer:

Ok but each time I reset the limiter (after allowing to cool down) the heating element definitely heats up again. Is it common for a heating element to be faulty yet still heat up ok?

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes but it heats for 5-10 mins and then cuts off again...

KevinWhiteJA :

that is the reason I believe it is heating element itself

Customer:

Ok thanks. So I need to make a call between the control board and the heating element. Both are approx £120 from seimens. Knowing my luck it will be which ever I choose second!

KevinWhiteJA :

Looking at the age of the unit I believe it is the element which is around £45 not the control

KevinWhiteJA :

You can get back to me if you need any assistance and I will help with no additional charges.....Is there anything else I can assist you with today ?

KevinWhiteJA :

If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service ...Thanks

Customer:

Thanks. I can't seem to rate you because all the faces are greyed out. It says you "have not finished answering"?