Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

Hotpoint FFA45W Fridge Freezer not restarting after defrost I

Customer Question

Hotpoint FFA45W Fridge Freezer not restarting after defrost
I switched off to clean. After cleaning it will not restart. the display shows "off" for both fridge and freezer. When on button is pressed, the usual "on display" flashes on for about 1 second, and then it reverts to the off position. I have tried waiting for an hour - not working.
In layman's terms, it seems like it's a relay problem.
How can I repair this in the least costly manner? Money is tight.
What's the solution, please?
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is Mike and I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. How long did you have it defrosting for? Had you left the doors open overnight during the defrosting?

canuck the pro :

Any chance the plug got inverted when plugging back in?

canuck the pro :

When turning it back on, do you have to hold the on/off button down for a few seconds to turn it back on? I think that when you turn it back on you have to hold the button down for a few seconds and it may turn off then (it might be in an alarm state if you just unplugged without turning it off first) after it is off hold the button again for a few seconds to turn it back on.

JACUSTOMER-q3ekhel6- :

// Overnight defrost (done this 3 or 4 times before) // Doors open // Plug not inverted // I held the button in for >2 seconds - then flashes on for about a second then back to off // It's not in alarm state //

JACUSTOMER-q3ekhel6- :

Basically the symptom is quite simple to describe - WHEN HOLDING THE ON/OFF BUTTON DOWN FOR MORE THAN 2 SECONDS - the fridge tries to switch on - then seems to reset. I would have thought that this would be a KNOWN fault to which there is a KNOWN RESOLUTION.

JACUSTOMER-q3ekhel6- :

Please just tell me if you've come accross this problem with this make and and model.

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 3 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thanks for your patience,

Adam