Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Gas cooker specialist
46681511

Y9120H Sundial RF2 7 day timer and wireless thermostat worked

Y9120H Sundial RF2 7 day timer and wireless thermostat worked perfectly for 2 years but now keep 'unsetting' themselves. Every week or so the timer says 'set day and time' and the thermostat changes temperatures or won't re act to anything, just goes into a 5 degree mode. What on earth is happening? Please?
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 3 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Have you tried replacing the batteries to see if it helps the clock, also the RF signal gets weak when the batteries are low

Customer:

Yes I have replaced the batteries in the room thermostat, but not in the clock / timer. Not sure if I am qualified to do that ...

XXXXX XXXXX :

The timer is connected to the mains (part of the receiver)?

Customer:

Do I need the installer back to replace the batteries in the timer?

XXXXX XXXXX :

It is not a programmable room thermostat?

Customer:

Yes, the timer is connected to the mains and all has been well for 2 years - this has suddenly started happening on a weekly basi.

Customer:

The thermostat should be programmable but has started not wanting to obey its programme - hence battery change etc etc

XXXXX XXXXX :

If you are having no interruptions to the mains supply then you have a problem with the receiver unit

XXXXX XXXXX :

The problem is that it is probably cheaper to buy a new set than replace the receiver and then have problems trying to match the frequency of the transmitter

Customer:

That is what the installer said but we have not been having power cuts and nothing else is acting up - all the programmable clocks on the cooker etc are fine

Customer:

Sorry - we are out of sync!

XXXXX XXXXX :

Many of them now have a simple receiver at the boiler and a programmable RF thermostat giving 6 temperature changes a day negating the need for a timer as well

XXXXX XXXXX :

Yes a problem with the receiver

Customer:

So you think better just get a new complete unit with thermostats rather than try and sort it out?

XXXXX XXXXX :

Yes, I think the receiver is duff now

Customer:

The last comment sounds good - the less bits and bobs the better ...

Customer:

Duff is a mild way of putting what I feel about it - cold showers are not fun!

Customer:

But surely a Honeywell piece of equipment should last longer than just over 2 years?

XXXXX XXXXX :

This would be a good replacement;

XXXXX XXXXX :

http://www.screwfix.com/p/drayton-digistat-3rf-room-thermostat/76816

Customer:

I will look that up Thank you

XXXXX XXXXX :

But you will need to speak to Honeywell first, but it depends whether you can last with the problems while they mess around trying to sort it if they can?

Customer:

Trying to get through to Honeywell is harder than finding hen's teeth!

XXXXX XXXXX :

From the website - Contact our dedicated consumer support line on 01344 656 200, select Option 1 and then Option 1.

Customer:

Thank you I will!

XXXXX XXXXX :

If you can get one out of them then you will be the first!

XXXXX XXXXX :

Give them some grief about it being fit for purpose, that usually makes them wobble!

Customer:

I am extremely persistent! But equally don't have so much time for all this - just need a system that works, which this did very well but only for 2 years.

Customer: