Carl L
Carl L, Technician
Experience:  13+ Years of Computer and Electronics Experience. Current Company Owner as an IT Specialist in FL.
27991594

I have lost the remote handset for my winterwarm plinth heater.

Customer Question

I have lost the remote handset for my winterwarm plinth heater. What do I have to do to the wiring to enable me to turn the heater on using the switch on the front panel?
JR
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is Mike and I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. If you access the bottom grate and access the receiver for the remote, there is a switch on it. Switch from remote to manual and the switch will be activated again.

JACUSTOMER-ba4mnwa4- : I assume the receiver for the remote is the rectangular red box thing below the on/off switch. I have removed this and it does not have a switch on it. It has three fine wires coming from it and they go to white connector on the circuit board. The wires are coloured red white and black if that is any help. I perhaps should add that I wrote to Dimplex and they say it will not work without the remote and I have no option but to buy a new one which they only sell complete with a new heater which seems a bit extreme. I felt sure there must be a way round the problem any any way I much prefer not to use a remote.
canuck the pro :

Do you see a model number on the receiver? Can you send a picture?

JACUSTOMER-ba4mnwa4- : It says :- 8580
JACUSTOMER-ba4mnwa4- : T85. ARCOLECTRIC
JACUSTOMER-ba4mnwa4- : Not sure how to attach a photo to this chat. I could send it as an attachment to an email. JR
canuck the pro :

Use the paper clip icon above the chat window to attach pictures. Are you accessing the light switch panel or the panel on the bottom of the fireplace insert?

JACUSTOMER-ba4mnwa4- : I can not see a paper clip icon anywhere. I have removed the heater unit from the plinth panel and have taken the top off to access the wiring inside. Then I pulled out the rectangular red thingy as mentioned above, this was mounted just below a light switch in the centre of the unit. The warm air exit is to the left and the thermostat wheel is to the right. The light switch lights when turned on and I can hear a click as I turn the wheel but no heat or fan.
canuck the pro :

How about using wikisend.com. You can download the pictures there and send me the link

JACUSTOMER-ba4mnwa4- : Wikisend has given me a number 934684. Hope that works and that the photo is adequate! JR
canuck the pro :

I see. So are the wires from the switch red, black and white also?

JACUSTOMER-ba4mnwa4- : They are brown red and blue going from left to right viewed from above. There are two blue wires from the right hand terminal
canuck the pro :

I am going to opt out. I have to run to the doctor and I don't want you to have to wait. If another expert has not helped by the time I get back I will opt back in. Sorry for the delay. Mike

JACUSTOMER-ba4mnwa4- : OK, I'll wait in hope. Thanks for trying. JR
canuck the pro :

I am going to see if we can get this question transferred to electrical. I think it could be wired to bypass the controller especially if you have two light switches.

JACUSTOMER-ba4mnwa4- : I will be leaving this house in an hour or so and not back for three weeks so it looks rather as though we are not going to be able to solve the problem today. If you think we can eventually make the heater work without the remote then I could start again on my next visit, otherwise I'll have to buy a complete new heater. JR
canuck the pro :

I am sorry you have not gotten a response. I will re-send the question to the electrical experts. I am sure they can help with the issue. Mike

Expert:  Carl L replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to Just Answer, a fee based Question and Answer Company. My name is Carl and I will be assisting you today.

Look on the back of the Heater and locate the Model #. This is crucial to know in order to locate the most accurate information required to resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Carl
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Carl,
I am now some 300 miles from my heater so can't easily do anything useful. I will be back there at the end of the month and if you think you can help I could contact you again.
I do have the leaflet that came with the heater which is a WWFH20 Base Unit Heater by Winterwarm under the auspices of Glen Dimplex UK Ltd. that might not be enough information for you. JR
Expert:  Carl L replied 2 years ago.
I just looked up the specs for that heater and it has a manual On/Off Switch and it's not hidden. It also has a Low and Boost Switch as well; Both of which can be toggled without the use of the remote.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear Carl,
I am now back with my heater and hope we can sort it out this week.
The instructions say :- Switch on the electricity supply, and select the 'Power On' neon indicator switch on the front panel. I have done that. The heater may now be turned on and off using the remote which is a simple device with two buttons, one for On and the other for Off. Dimplex say that the heater cannot be operated without the remote though they say that if the remote is lost the heater can be turned off at the mains supply. They do not sell spare remotes!
The only other control on the fascia is the thermostat knob and I have made sure that this is demanding heat but the heater does not turn on.
I feel there has got to be a way of bypassing the infra red link and am happy to remove the heater and disassemble to get at the wiring. JR
Expert:  Carl L replied 2 years ago.
Can you upload a picture of the Heater that you have so I can make sure that I am looking into the correct model?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have uploaded pictures of the first two pages of the instruction leaflet that came with the heater which show things fairly well. Hope that is helpful.
Wikisend.com refs 654252 and 536424. JR
Expert:  Carl L replied 2 years ago.
The first picture didn't upload correctly. Can you reupload the first one along with a picture of the actual Heater?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have re uploaded pages 1 and 2 of the instruction sheet, wiki refs 741038 and 100198 as well as a photo of the actual heater, ref 463734.
Hope that works better for you. JR