canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

wsg5588 stopped making ice. What could be wrong? Its three

wsg5588 stopped making ice. What could be wrong? Its three years old.
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. If you open the freezer, is there a cube stuck in the icemaker?

canuck the pro :

Full Size Image

Customer:

No there isn't.

canuck the pro :

Does the water dispenser work?

Customer:

Yes, it does.

canuck the pro :

Has the bar been moved to the off position?

Customer:

Where is the bar located?

canuck the pro :

The bar that is in front of the icemaker machine itself. There is a thin bar that when it is down then the icemaker is on and up it is off.

Full Size Image

canuck the pro :

OR the other way around....it says on the side of the icemaker anyway

Customer:

The model of fridge I have doesn't seem to have a thin metal bar like the one shown. The only bar I can see is a plastic lever that tips the cube tray down and them back up automatically.

canuck the pro :

So it is on and engaged? Any lights?

Customer:

As far as I can see the lever is in the upright position as it would be when the tray is filling up. I tried moving manually but I was afraid it might break! As for lights, there are no actual lights in the ice maker itself. The fridge has a digital panel at the from which tells me what type of ice required; cubes or crushed and also if I want to lock it.

canuck the pro :

Did the button for off get pushed accidentally? Just want to cover the most simple things it could be first.

Customer:

No I checked that first.

canuck the pro :

Do you have a multi-meter and do you know how to use one?

Customer:

. I am a disabled woman and all my menfolk are at work and won't be back until late. I know what one is, I know where to find it but I won't be able to access it due to disability I'm afraid!

canuck the pro :

Ok. What about warranty? It is under warranty still, correct?

Customer:

Yes it is.

canuck the pro :

Well I guess the easiest to do to repair is to access the manual and on the back page will have contact info for your area for a warranty visit as the simple things it could be have been checked. Have the items in the freezer remained frozen? Is there any ice buildup in the freezer or frost?

Customer:

The freezer is in perfect working order including the 6th sense function, only the ice maker stopped working. There is no frost build-up. I'll call Domestic & General and see if they can send someone. Thank you so much for your help.

You are very welcome. If anything else comes up I will be here. Thank you too. Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi There.

Just to let you know that the ice maker began working on its own! Thanks for you help.

Interesting. There must have been a piece of ice blocking it that came free. Very common. I know I had you check and at the beginning but it must not have been as visible. Glad to hear. You are very welcome. I will be here whenever needed. Mike
If you have any trouble with the rating system please let me know as I can have it processed. Mike
I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful? If you have any questions at all please let me know. If it was the information you were looking for please indicate that you are ready to positively rate my service. Thank you, Mike