Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Gas cooker specialist
46681511
Appliance

Please Heelp, I have a Glow worm 18SI and yesterday I heard

Please Heelp,
I have a... Show More
Please Heelp,
I have a Glow worm 18SI and yesterday I heard some bangs and cracking noises in the boiler and then it stopped. F9 apeared on display. When I checked, the water pipe which goes outside, I noticed that it was dripping badly. I replaced the Water release valve and started the boiler. A few seconds after starting it, the air vent started to release steam and some loud bangs and water bubling inside the boiler could be heard. The pressure went up to 3.2bar and F9 appeared again. This happened in a few seconds. When releasing the water through the water release valve a noise can be heard like it is air in the boiler even if the air was taken out previously. I decided to replace the Air vent and the water pump and this does the same. I also reset the overheat sensor but still does the same.
can you please give me some advice in how to fix this?
Claude
Show Less
replied 3 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXX : It sounds like the pump failed, so you replaced it - but this will have damaged the PRV so it cannot hold pressure in the system, did you replace that too?
JACUSTOMER-5no542nv- :

Yes that I replaced first.

JACUSTOMER-5no542nv- :

Well i replaced the water pump, I've seen that it has the same problem and then I put my old pump back. I thought that I will get a refund or other part in change. I still have the new pump.

JACUSTOMER-5no542nv- :

Is it possible to get a new faulty pump? How can I check that?

XXXXX XXXXX :

If the old pump is not working then the water will not circulate and the boiler wil overheat - is the boiler holding pressure now when sat at cold?

Customer:

When I turn it on, the boilers display was showing 1.2 bar. I have a refill tap in the hotpress with a valve wich refills the sistem automatically if needed. The tap was on and the meter was showing 1.1bar. I turned on the boiler and in a few seconds the temp went to 99 degrees celsius and it stopped and F9 came on again. Bubles in the boiler coud be heard. The pressure inside the boiler went to 2.7 bar. Also the meter up on the hot press went to 2,7 bar and then slowly descend to 1.1 bar in approx 1 min.

XXXXX XXXXX :

And you say it is the same with the new pump?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

It didn't make any difference.

Customer:

Now the air vent from the pump assembly was not puffing anymore.

XXXXX XXXXX :

It sounds like you have air trapped

Customer:

I just tried to start the boiler again and it shows 1.2 bar 33 degrees celsius and in approx 15 secs it shows F9

XXXXX XXXXX :

Do you have anywhere else you can let any air out - can you try the screw on the front of the pump and see if any comes out of there once it is released

Customer:

there is some air comming out and after a few secs water comes out. i installed the new pump

Customer:

I did the above after installing the new pump. I also let some water out from the boilet before installing the new pump. With the pump taken out I turn on the water from the inlet valve and the water came out through the pump assembly.There was black water with black discharge like sand. I let it go out until the water came out clean. i installed the pump reset the overheat thermostat and let it run. It did the same it run for a few secs, then some cracking noise like air in the boiler system, steam comming out from the air vent. I don't know how to check if the new pump is running.

XXXXX XXXXX :

If you take the screw out of the centre completely, you will see the insides spinning if they are

Customer:

It is not spinning.This is the new pump.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Can you put a small screwdriver in the slot and give it a twist?

Customer:

I did it spins manualy. It dripps water when you take the screw out.

Customer:

It doesn't spin when you turn the boiler on.

Customer:

the pump spins easilly with the srewdriver

Customer:

When I spin it first anticlockwise, I had a very short thin jet of water and then it only dripps

XXXXX XXXXX :

When you turn on the boiler is there are extra resistance?

Customer:

no

XXXXX XXXXX :

Are you able to check power to the pump at the electrical connection block on the pump?

Customer:

I will get a voltmeter in about an hour and I will respond you then.

XXXXX XXXXX :

No problem - check at the pump, if there is power then the pump is duff

XXXXX XXXXX :

If there is no power, check all the way back to the PCB where the pump gets its power from

XXXXX XXXXX :

If there is no power at the board then check the fuses on the board

XXXXX XXXXX :

If they are fine then it is a PCB fault

Customer:

I will tell you in approx one hour and a half

XXXXX XXXXX :

No problem - come back when you have checked

Customer:

I checked on the PCB and when I turn the boiler on it shows me 2.5 with the voltmeter set on 200V~ (alternative)

Customer:

It shouldn't be 24 volts?

Customer:

The fuse on the PCB is OK.

Customer:

So Voltmeter set on 200V AC shows 2.5

Customer:

Voltmeter set on 200V DC doesn't show anothing (is zero)

XXXXX XXXXX : do
XXXXX XXXXX : Do you have power at the pump?
XXXXX XXXXX : If set to 400V AC then you should get 240 when measuring Live and Neutral and also Live and Earth
Customer:

I can only set the voltmeter at 250V AC. Please give me 10 minutes to open the front of the boiler again and I will measure it the way you said.

XXXXX XXXXX : No problem
Customer:

It shows

Customer:

I set the voltmeter on 250V AC and it doesn't show me anything. Being set on 200V AC shows me 2.5

XXXXX XXXXX : Live to Earth and Live to Neutral?
Customer:

yes

XXXXX XXXXX : 2.5V AC is not much
Customer:

I know

XXXXX XXXXX : Can you try back at the PCB also?
Customer:

I tried on the PCB. I put the voltmeter on the connection where the wire comes out from PCB

XXXXX XXXXX : Have you checked all the fuses on the PCB to make sure they are OK?
Customer:

there is only one fuse and is OK

XXXXX XXXXX : When the heating is on then the pump should run all the time the room thermostat is on
XXXXX XXXXX : When on hot water only the pump only runs when the tap is run
XXXXX XXXXX : Are you getting nothing?
Customer:

The room thermostat was always on. Still nothing.

XXXXX XXXXX : Looking at the book, F9 is a water pressure sensor fault - but could also be low or high pressure
XXXXX XXXXX : The power to the pump comes straight from the PCB and if you are not getting 240V to the pump then this is the part I would change
Customer:

I will change it and I will let you know tonorow

XXXXX XXXXX : Copy of the manual here;
XXXXX XXXXX : www.acwilgar.co.uk/Boiler-Manual-PDF/Glow%20Worm/24ci-18si.pdf
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for late reply... I just had the boiler fixed today. It was the PCB... did not power the pump. Anyway, thank you for the great service. You are really pro.

Best regards,

C

Andrew Smith, Home Appliance Technician replied 3 years ago.
No problem - glad we got there together