canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

I have a Maytag GC2228EEDB fridge freezer which was working

I have a Maytag GC2228EEDB fridge freezer which was working perfectly, I unplugged it to clean out. After starting it worked for about 4hours and it keeps on tripping the electrics, I unplug it and put it on another plug but it keeps on tripping. What do you suggest? Nester

Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. The problem here will is either the defrost element, or the defrost terminator. (Bi metal thermostat)

Both of these parts are used when the fridge switches into defrost mode every 5-8 hours. Out of the two components it is most likely the defrost element. Remove the fan panel in the freezer and visually locate the defrost element wrapped around or underneath the evaporator. Test it with a multimeter for continuity. Unplug the 2 terminals to the element and test the element and if you have continuity there then do the same with the defrost terminator, unplug and test the wires. Here is a video that may help also. It is not the same model as yours but similar to what you will want to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFHS7x3i_JA

For parts:

Maytag:

0844(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>