Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

Zanussi oven ZBD904W - error code 00d and 00e This appears

Customer Question

Zanussi oven ZBD904W - error code 00d and 00e
This appears to be temperature sensor fault (- when thermoprobe is unplugged is 00e)

Service person says thinks it is the oven control/timer unit
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
The code when it's disconnected shows it's open circuit, this to me would be correct. It's open circuit.

The code when it's connected is that it's short circuit.
Have you tested it with a multimeter?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are the 00d and 00e codes - meaning exactly that?

Sensor short circuit and sensor open circuit

Is this verified look up of zanussi error codes

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Yes, I have the full service manual and that's what the codes mean.

You need to test the sensor with a multimeter, see if it's actually short circuit.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When the sensor is disconnected - testing the continuity of it with my meter is reading too high a resistance to register. So it does not appear to be a direct short circuit within the temperature sensor itself.

The output of the control/timer is 20 V at no load with sensor disconnected. The voltage drops to 0.5 V when it is in circuit.

So does this indicate a failure of the output circuitry is not capable of driving the temperature sensor? What is the normal resistance of the temperature sensor?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
No, the resistance should be in Kohms.

The resistance of the sensor changes as it heats up so I'd suspect the voltage is ok.

If it was a controller fault, you would get the same code with the sensor connected or disconnected.
As it changes from short to open circuit, I would suspect the sensor.

It seems to me (from no actual tests with the multimeter) that the control and wiring are doing their job.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I used another multimeter - the temp sensor reads 360 ohms. The oven comes with a meat probe - this reads 56k

So I guess this does suggest it is the built in temp sensor.

Incidentally plugging in the meat probe - does not help and the oven still refuses to work. Showing 00d and the fan on continuously.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Warm up the sensor, what resistance do you get?

Sorry, don't follow your thinking with the meat probe.
If the temperature sensor is faulty then plugging in the meat probe won't change this.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The built in sensor goes up from 360 ohm cold to a max 417 ohms when in cup of boiled water.

I thought perhaps the meat probe would override the built in sensor and allow the oven to work - and I thought worked similar. It works as I would expect, as temperature increases the resistance decreases from 56k down to 10k

So it does appear that the built in probe is defective.

I am glad I checked with you since a call out man - said we needed a new control unit (which you can't get) so suggested a new oven. But I managed to find the exact control unit selling on ebay for £15 and a new sensor is £55. Either way does not look like I need a new oven.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Cracking price for the control unit, worth buying, even if not needed yet.

As I said earlier, disconnecting the probe suggests to me the fault is with the probe as the control is detecting the difference when it's connected.

I've looked in the service manual but they don't give resistance for the sensor, pity as it would have helped.

good luck with the repair.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I've bought the control unit anyway. Thanks for your help. Fortunately the repair guy did not charge for coming out - since he could not fix. Unfortunate that I was away in Africa these last 2 weeks otherwise I would of fixed sooner.

Jamie

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Fingers crossed, I'd rather it was repaired than scrapped.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You were very helpful on Saturday in diagnosing the sensor problem. However this temperature sensor seems to be an obsolete part and everywhere I find it listed says - not available. Is there anyway to get the original specification and/or find an alternative part from another oven that might work?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Sorry, the service manual doesn't give any specification for the part.
Doesn't even list what resistance it should be.

Sorry