Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a hotpoint FFP187MP fridge freezer. The fridge part

Customer Question

I have a hotpoint FFP187MP fridge freezer. The fridge part isn't cold and the ice cream in the freezer part is very soft. I've taken off the panels in the freezer part and there is no build up ice. When we plug the fridge back in it doesn't make any noise at all the only reason you would know its plugged in is because the fridge light comes on.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

If you feel the compressor at the back is it hot to touch?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is that the black thing? If it is no its not its cold not making a sound or vibration

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok what this will be is either the compressor itself or the control board.

To find out which it is you need a multimeter. So remove the plastic cover on the side of the compressor and locate the black wire. This is the compressor wire so with the meter test to see if theres 230v there if you can.

If there is then the compressor or relay is the fault.

If there isn't then the control board is the fault and will need to be replaced to get this up and running again.

So if you do have a multimeter then you can check which is the fault on this.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes there is 230V going through it when we tested the black wire.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok so the control board is sending the power down to the compressor.

Unplug it and remove the relay off the side and you will see 3 pins.

Test these pins for continuity as there should be continuity between all 3 and let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok will try that now

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
No worries
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Theres continuity between all 3.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok that's fine. If theres power there then its something to do with either the compressor itself or the relay.

The compressor isn't a diy fix as it has to be regassed once replaced so if you wanted to you can try and replace just the relay itself and see if this cures it as that part can be replaced fine.

But if after replacing that its still the same then its looking like the compressor itself is the fault which you will need to get a fridge engineer in to replace that. But a replacement compressor isn't cheap. You are looking at about the £200 mark im afraid.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi we've ordered a relay off the internet so when that comes we will fit that and keep our fingers crossed. When I touched the compressor this morning it was warm but not hot. Just checked it again and its cold again. Could this be because the fridge door wasn't opened all night and then when we open it it goes cold again? Just wondering.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Don't know if you got my message on the 7th. We've ordered a relay & waiting for it come.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Can we stay in touch with you. we've ordered a relay and are awaiting for it to come.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Yes we can stay in touch on this. As you have ordered it then see how it goes once you get it and let me know.

But if its still the same then im afraid its looking like the compressor itself.