Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a siemens fridge freezer. The freezer is fine but the

I have a siemens fridge freezer. The freezer is fine but the fridge seems to have knocked itself off. The lights and alarm are working but its not cooling the fridge. Any ideas
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Can you post the model number please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

would it be 900 1`94 258 (8211)?

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

No that's not it. Its usually on a sticker inside the fridge section behind the salad box and starts E-nr.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it KG36NA50GB/22FD?

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks for that ive got it now. As this is a frost free appliance the fridge section gets its cooling from the freezer. The fan in the freezer blows the cold air into the fridge section. So if the freezer is fine but the fridge isn't then its something to do with the freezer section.

Now there 2 things you can do for this. Either empty the freezer section and remove the top panel in there.

There you will see the evaporator and fan unit. If this is blocked with ice use a hair dryer and fully defrost the freezer section as this will clear the air ways and allow the air to flow up to the fridge section. Then retry it and fingers crossed this will sort it.

This way is tricky due to the location of the evaporator unit.

But if you don't want to go removing panels then you need to do a full defrost on it.

Empty it an turn it off for 24 hours and leave the freezer door open. This will allow the ice in there to melt away. Then turn back on and see how it goes. Fingers crossed this will get it going again.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can't get at the plug to turn it off as its an integrated unit. Can't get the top panel off either but I can blow hairdryer through the grid. Would that do the job and how long would i need to do it for? Thanks

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok you can just turn it off by the on/off button at the top. Open the fridge door and you will see the on/off button at the top. Just turn it off by that.

You can try the hairdryer through the vent at the top of the freezer but to be honest it may not get all the ice as it will go right to the back but worth trying it just in case so just blow it through the vents until you cannot see any ice or frost.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just found the on/off button....Thanks. Will try the hairdryer again as I don't want to lose what I have in freezer until yet. Will let you know tomorrow how it goes.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

No worries speak tomorrow.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I actually didn't do a full defrost yet. I had it off for about 3 hours then turned it on and thought it was working but not working this morning. Will do a full defrost thie evening for 24 hours and let you know tomorrow evening. Hope that works. Thanks

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

No worries finger crossed that will sort it.