canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

We have an AGA American fridge freezer, which is a branded

Customer Question

We have an AGA American fridge freezer, which is a branded Maytag.
The freezer works intermittently and we've had frozen food defrosting.
I've checked and there is no ventilation clearance down the sides of the fridge freezer. Could this be the cause of the problem?
Paul
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is Mike and I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. What has likely happened is the incoming vent may have been partially blocked by a food item or the door was accidentally left open for a period of time. When either of these situations happen the evaporator will not defrost quickly enough before the next freeze time. The evaporator will form ice on it and the fan will blow the cold air into the freezer. There is a small heater that will defrost the ice on the evaporator and if excess ice forms the heater cannot defrost in time for the next cycle. You can remove the back panel and melt the excess ice on the evaporator and the regular function will resume.

JACUSTOMER-ub780l6d- : Can you tell me if side ventilation is imperative?
canuck the pro :

The ventilation is on the back, not the sides. There are air vents on the sides?

canuck the pro :

The ventilation is imperative, yes.

canuck the pro :

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful? If you have any questions at all please let me know. If it was the information you were looking for please indicate that you are ready to positively rate my service. Thank you, Mike

JACUSTOMER-ub780l6d- : Would the lack of ventilation cause my problem?
canuck the pro :

It could. It is hard to tell without knowing what the problem is. Is there ice on the evaporator? Do you have any excessive moisture in the bottom of the fridge? Is the fridge in a place that there would be no ventilation? What is causing you to suspect the ventilation to be a factor?

canuck the pro :

Are there ventilation vents on the side of the appliance? I don't ever remember seeing a fridge/freezer with vents on the sides. If there are not then there is not clearance needed.

canuck the pro :

Were you able to check what I have suggested?

canuck the pro :

I cannot tell if the information I provided has helped solve your issue. Would you please respond with a short description or statement if it has or has not helped? I would like to continue to help if the issue has not been resolved. Mike