KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

We own a Bosch WMI 12C7 built in washing machine. Instead of

We own a Bosch WMI 12C7 built in washing machine. Instead of displaying the time when a programme is selected and counting down during the cycle, it displays a flashing PAUS then when the Start/Pause button is pressed, the programme time appears and it looks as if it's going to start (we can hear it filling with water) but the drum does not turn and the desired programme does not start.
Is there a simple remedy to this or do we have to call in a professional?

Al Lawrie.
Kinross
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 3 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

How old is it ?

Customer:

About 3 years

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, please unplug the washer for around 3-4 minutes

KevinWhiteJA :

after this plug it back and simultaneously press & hold the START button for around 15 seconds

Customer:

OK

KevinWhiteJA :

let me know how it goes

Customer:

Should I select a wash cycle before pressing & holding START button?

KevinWhiteJA :

no

Customer:

OK, done.

KevinWhiteJA :

ok, please check if the error appears again

KevinWhiteJA :

Did that help ?

Customer:

It did not display the flashing PAUSE and seems to be counting down bit the drum has not started turning-although it may just be because of the phase in the cycle (it was part way through a cycle when I tried this).

KevinWhiteJA :

ok I think it was stuck and now it has reset the control...let me know how it goes

Customer:

OK

KevinWhiteJA :

If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

Customer:

Hi Kevin. I let that cycle finish but it did not wash, neither the drum turned nor the countdown reached 0, it seemed to stick at 0:01 for a while then went back to 0:38 (part way through programme) I then turned it all off unplugged for 4 mins, held START for 15 secs then tried to restart but again the flashing PAUSE sign comes up.

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, can you pull the washer out and then try to clean the drain pump assembly completely ?

Customer:

OK, done. A bit gunky but didn't seem to be blocked.

KevinWhiteJA :

ok please check it and tell me if the drum moves

Customer:

By switching on and trying a cycle?

KevinWhiteJA :

yes

KevinWhiteJA :

try any short cycle

Customer:

Nothing seems to be happening. I should add that the little clock icon for "Delay time to end" is illuminated all of the time. ?Should this be the case? I can't get it to disappear.

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, can you take the control panel off...there is a pressure switch located...it has a small hose attached to it..you will have to clean that hose and give some taps on the pressure switch, let me know how it goes

Customer:

Can I take the control panel off? the whole thing is built in.

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes you can

Customer:

I assume the control panel is at the top of the machine containing the electronic display and buttons (sorry for sounding like an idiot) I have removed this but can't see any pressure switch or hose!

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes that is right

KevinWhiteJA :

can you tell me its complete model number

Customer:

Kevin. I have been a complete moron. It's a Smeg WMI 12C7 not a Bosch. Sorry.

KevinWhiteJA :

:) no problem..that is what I thought...I was checking Smeg only

Customer:

I don't have any other number, just a Smeg WMI 12C7 built in.

KevinWhiteJA :

there is a pressure switch in the control

KevinWhiteJA :

if the drum is still not turning then it seems the motor is bad and will need replacement

KevinWhiteJA :

Smeg WM12C-7 Pressure Switch
Full Size Image

KevinWhiteJA :

this is how the pressure switch looks

KevinWhiteJA :

Please don't rate the solution till the time you are completely satisfied...If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

Customer:

Pressure switch located (It's white in this machine) Hose cleaned and I tapped the switch as you said. Machine reassembled but still the same flashing PAUSE sign initially and drum doesn't turn. It's making all the appropriate clicking/switching noises but doesn't do a wash cycle. Am I correct about the clock logo? Should this not appear in a normal cycle? If so any suggestions as to how to get rid of it?

KevinWhiteJA :

As the water fills but the drum wont turn so it is the motor...I believe the control is fine

KevinWhiteJA :

you have already tried to reset it as well by pressing the START button

KevinWhiteJA :

try to clean the START/PAUSE button as well

Customer:

At the moment it has got to the end of the short superfast 15 min cycle. The drum has been turning a few times but again it seems to be stuck at 0:01 in the rinse phase. Have cleaned all buttons on the panel.

KevinWhiteJA :

most likely the motor has to be replaced

Customer:

OK. Thanks for trying. I'll give the company a call.

KevinWhiteJA :

You're welcome....Excellent feedback is appreciated if you are satisfied with my assistance....Have a Good Day