canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

As I have discontinued to use Calgon in my washing machine

As I have discontinued to use Calgon in my washing machine as I find it only partially disolves & ends up stuck to the rubber door seal, my brother suggested I get some descaling crystals from 'espares'. Upon reading the instructions they gave, I found I needed to run the machine at a temperature of 55 degrees or over without a prewash program, none of the programs on my machine can comply with this requirement, so I emailed espares on the 27th March for advice, I've only just got a reply recommencing I contact the machine's manufacturer.
My email to espares: "Hi espares, I have now received the descaling crystals I had purchased from you & I wish to put them into use. The instructions given require a temperature setting above 55 degrees without prewash, that is where I have a problem, all the wash cycles at or above 55 degrees include a prewash on my Zanussi ZWF16281W. Not that I have found any need to place any washing powder in the prewash tray, as the end result does not justify it's use.
But of course I now seek guidance on how I can proceed to give the machine a good internal clean, please help?
Yours sincerely,
Geoff Broad."

Please can you help?

Yours sincerely,
Geoff Broad.
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. I am sorry that they were so unhelpful. Most descalers would instruct at least 40 degrees not 55. I am unsure why the directions have to be as difficult as the supplier. If you run the cycle on the hottest available without prewash that will get the job done. The most important is that the crystals do not get rinsed down the drain before they are heated with the element and cycles around in the machine. That way it can clean the jet arms and the element then rinse away after.

Customer:

For cottons the temperature settings are 95, 60 eco, 60, 40 eco & 40. For synthetics there is a 50 degree wash program, which I guess would be the best one to use. As for the other issue you have mentioned of ensuring the crystals remain within the machine during the heating phase, I am not sure how I can achieve that. Surely no rinsing occurs until the wash cycle has completed.

canuck the pro :

right, only cycles with the prewash will do that.

Customer:

Having just consulted the manufacturers programme table, it appears the synthetic program also has a prewash function. Are many washing machines programmed like this I wonder, so that they become scaled up necessitating buying aniother machine?

Customer:

It would appear that I am having a losing battle trying to keep my machine clean internally.

canuck the pro :

It will still work with the 50 degree cycle. Most important is the heating is activated. You can win this battle for sure!

Customer:

Would there be any benefit by placing the crystals in the detergent tray as opposed to placing them in the drum & using a higher than 55 degrees program?

Customer:

Placing the crystals in the drum is what the crystal instructions advise, hence my suggestion.

canuck the pro :

The best results will be from placing them in the drum, no question.

canuck the pro :

It's difficult because they have dIrections that are supposed to be universal for every machine

Customer:

How about putting the crystals in very hot water, then pouring the solution in the drum prior to starting the wash cycle which will, of course start with a prewash on my machine?

canuck the pro :

I don't think that is necessary. Some machines have a prewash cycle that rinses the prerinse water down the drain. I don't think yours does that. Even if it does the crystals will still be effective. Using as directed on the 50 degree cycle will remove the scale.

Customer:

I guess that suggestion is the best one so far so I thing that is the one that I will adopt. It has been most helpful being able to kick around a few ideas & have an expert comment on them for me.

canuck the pro :

I am glad to help.

Customer:

Farewell my friend!