KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

I have an AEG washer dryer which has developed an intermittent

I have an AEG washer dryer which has developed an intermittent fault with the dryer. Some times it works but more often than not now it doesn't. I have now worked out that the timer is speeding round at twice the speed eg if I set it for 25 min, it is usually finished in less than 10 min and hasn't heated up at all.

Any idea what the fault might be?
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 3 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

Please tell me its complete model number

KevinWhiteJA :

and how old is it ?

Customer:

Model L16830. It is a Vavamat Turbo probably between 8-10 years old.

KevinWhiteJA :

from the description that you have provided and looking at the age of the appliance the problem is more likely the heater assembly that is bad and will need replacement

Customer:

What will this entail. How much is repair likely to cost - parts and labour

Customer:

Would the heater assembly control the speed of the timer too?

KevinWhiteJA :

a new element will cost around £40 for part+ labor

KevinWhiteJA :

no the heater would not control the speed of timer

KevinWhiteJA :

when it goes bad everything else works fine...the control stops after few minutes as it detects the dryer is unable to heat at all

KevinWhiteJA :

there are two thermostats as well ...if any of those goes bad the heater will not work at all

KevinWhiteJA :

so if you want to do it yourself you will have to check the thermostat and the heating element for continuity

KevinWhiteJA :

with a multimeter

Customer:

But do you think fixing the heater assembly will put the speed of the timer right too. The control is not stopping it is actually speeding through the time - 1 min is actually taking about 20secs.

KevinWhiteJA :

no continuity in any of the part means that part is bad and will need replacement

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes as the washer works fine and the dryer timer still works & the dryer wont heat so I believe it is the heater assembly

KevinWhiteJA :

heater assembly includes both thermostat and element

Customer:

Not sure what you mean by the last statement. Also are the thermostats in addition to the heater assembly or are they part of the same unit?

KevinWhiteJA :

element costs £40, complete heater assembly will cost around £130 including the thermostat

KevinWhiteJA :

sorry please tell me which statement

Customer:

Customer:

OK - so hopefully replacing the heater assembly will solve all problems

KevinWhiteJA :

thermostats are different parts...so with the appliance unplugged you will have to take off the thermostat(s) and test both of them separately for continuity with a multimeter ...and same way the element has to be tested with a multimeter...whichever part does not have continuity will need replacement, if it is the element I would recommend to replace complete heater assembly

Customer:

If the heater assembly was at fault would it still work intermittently - which is what is happening at the moment.

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes

Customer:

OK - thanks. I've never used this service before - is it possible to print out a copy of the advice you have given?

KevinWhiteJA :

Sure I think it is sent to your email as well

KevinWhiteJA :

You can get back to me if you need any assistance and I will help with no additional charges.....Is there anything else I can assist you with today ?

Customer:

No - that's fine. thanks

KevinWhiteJA :

You're welcome....Excellent feedback is appreciated if you are satisfied with my assistance....Have a Good Day