Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

I have a zanussi ZWF14280S washing machine and it has been

Customer Question

I have a zanussi ZWF14280S washing machine and it has been playing up lately when its on a normal programme like 40 or 60 degree wash it seems to go very slow and then halfway through the wash it just stops. I then have to put it on spin which works ok?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Does your machine have a display or only lights?
When it stops, are any lights flashing?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It has a display it shows the length of time each wash should be eg 1.40 for 60 degree it will get down to about 50 and then stops and it show 1.40 again and theres nothing flashing.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.

Turn it on.
Close the door.
Press and hold together the start button and the button to the left of it.

Let me know the error code it displays.

thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It says E52

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, that's strange as the code is no motor movement detected.

Run a hot program.
Check during the wash to see if it heats.
When it stops, check the stored error and let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

right well I put it on a 95 degree wash which is normally 2.10hrs but I opted for quick wash so it was 1.30hrs the first 25 mins went with no problems, then at 1.05 to 54 (9 mins) this actually took about 25 mins the machine did nothing except it circled once and that was it. Then at 53 it jumped to 1.40hrs again and there was water still in machine and the doors wont open and the error code is E52 again?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
The code won't change unless it's overwritten by a new code.

If you select spin only, does it empty and spin?
How old is the machine?

Did you check to see if it heats the water?

Once you get the door open, select any program (keep the door open) and press start.
This should generate an E41 code.

Then, try the machine again and see if it changes to E52 again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok yes the water heats up ok and the spin only emptys and spins to problem. The machine is about 5 years old.

I kept the door open and hit start but it gave me code E40. Then I closed the door and hit start again and then held the two buttons together and it then gave me the code E41?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, it's changed the code now, so run it and see what happens.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I'm only getting back to you now I was away for the weekend. No there's still a problem I put it on for 40 degrees wash which should be 1.25, up to 55 it worked perfectly then from 55 to 45 which took about 35 min and not 10 it only did about two small turns then at 44 it did a short spin and at 43 it stopped and is flashing back to 1.25 mins?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
What error code is stored?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

E52 again and when it turned it to off it still won't let me open the door so I've had to put it onto spin for 12 mins. Now before I began this was I checked the code which said e52 opened the door so it turned to e41?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Yes, I know it was E52, then I had you change it to E41.

Now it's back to E52

E52 is a motor circuit error.

Unfortunately, it's not making much sense if you put it on spin and it works.

Sorry, it appears you have a fault with the main control board.

The motor appears to be working ok (you haven't said there's a problem with the drum turning) so the only other item in this code (E52) is the main control board.

Check it out, see how it goes and let me know.
(it's worth checking the carbon brushes in the motor, to rule them out as the cause).

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What's the carbon brushes I've never heard of that? The spin has just finished perfectly and its went to 0.00. I tried for a code but nothing came up, so I turned it to off and then back to 40 and e52 appears?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
E52, again, no motor movement detected.
Check the wiring to the motor, check the carbon brushes on the motor.
(carbon brushes carry the power to the motor armature).

If they are ok you must have a board fault.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Am I better getting someone out?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
If it's a board fault, it's a very expensive repair (as would be a motor replacement).

You may be better off with a fixed price repair that includes parts and labour.
British Gas and Knowhow (Currys) both offer this sort of service.

With British Gas, it's £125 and there's no charge if they can't repair it.

With Knowhow, you need to get a quote online.

Check them out, see what you think and get back to me if you need more help.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thanks you've been very helpful

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
You're very welcome.

Good luck with the repair.

thanks