KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

Hello, I have a washer dryer ZWD1471W which is starting to

Customer Question

Hello, I have a washer dryer ZWD1471W which is starting to fill with water, but then drains within two minutes. The indicator lights all seem ok, but this is a really quick wash! Please can you help?
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 2 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

How old is it ?

JACUSTOMER-3q6etzdg- :

2006

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, Lets check if we can get any error code out of the unit...To do this turn the dial to any setting and let it light up...After this is done press and hold the start button and the button to the left. Keep them held in for several seconds then the led's will go out. Now the start light and the end light will be flashing. Please count the total number of flashes from each the start light and the end light between the pause and let me know.

JACUSTOMER-3q6etzdg- :

The machine does not have a dial. It is all buttons. There is no button to the left of the start button. The start button is a switch, so it will make no difference holding it in. No error code has come up, it just drains and stops.

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, this washer has two pressure switch s ...

KevinWhiteJA :

Full Size Image

KevinWhiteJA :

if you check this image

KevinWhiteJA :

part 12 & 12A is the pressure switch

KevinWhiteJA :

can you try to check the small hose attached to it and clean it completely

KevinWhiteJA :

also give a slight tap with a screw driver on the pressure switch

KevinWhiteJA :

I believe after doing this the problem should be solved

KevinWhiteJA :

as you have already cleaned everything by pulling it out then cleaning the switch should solve the problem

KevinWhiteJA :

let me know how it goes

JACUSTOMER-3q6etzdg- :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX have a look, and get back to you in about half an hour.

KevinWhiteJA :

Sure...Please don't rate the solution till the time you are completely satisfied...If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

JACUSTOMER-3q6etzdg- :

Hello, I have cleaned out both small pipes, and given a tap to the regulator. It started to wash as before, but then blew the rcd on the fusebox. No sound came from the machine.

KevinWhiteJA :

ok, have you connected as it was earlier ?

JACUSTOMER-3q6etzdg- :

yes, it is all back together.

KevinWhiteJA :

and still there is no error code ?

JACUSTOMER-3q6etzdg- :

No, no error code. It just tripped the fusebox out.

KevinWhiteJA :

turn the appliance off and then press and hold the START and SKIP button...once it beeps and flashes let go the buttons...now the leds should be scrolling...Press and release the button next to the on / off button and repeat this until you get the 2nd bottom led in the second column lit. Once you get this lit you should have an error code in the display. If it displays then let me know the error code

JACUSTOMER-3q6etzdg- :

Hi, as I said before, the start button is a switch, so all I get when I hold the buttons down, is a skip in the program. No sound was made by machine. Are you sure you are looking at Zanussi ZWD1471W?

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes and you need to hold that button...can you try dryer and then try to obtain the error code again

JACUSTOMER-3q6etzdg- :

Do I need to shut the door, as if I leave it open it will not trip the box after a few seconds.

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes, looks like the door interlock assembly is causing this problem...try it both ways

KevinWhiteJA :

It should give a error code

JACUSTOMER-3q6etzdg- :

I have tried, but still all I get is a skip in the program, any program. No sound or beeps or error code. The buttons were held down for at least half a minute each time.

KevinWhiteJA :

ok

KevinWhiteJA :

have you tried to run the dryer ?

JACUSTOMER-3q6etzdg- :

If I skip all programs, and just run the dryer, it seems to work ok. It ran for ten minutes before I turned it off, to try to get an error code.

KevinWhiteJA :

and you are sure you have pulled it out and cleaned everything inside ?

JACUSTOMER-3q6etzdg- :

I have cleaned most things. We used to get an error code E20, but that is the drain pump. All is clean that I can find.

KevinWhiteJA :

and that error come up on the dryer side or on the washer side ?

KevinWhiteJA :

and the washer drain pump was cleaned completely ?

JACUSTOMER-3q6etzdg- :

That code has not come up recently. My problem now is the drum used to turn a few times on wash, but after I cleaned the pipes etc, it turned for longer but then tripped out. Earlier on today I filled the drum with water manually but when I turned it on it also tripped the box out.

KevinWhiteJA :

ok

KevinWhiteJA :

can you test the element with a multimeter for continuity ?

JACUSTOMER-3q6etzdg- :

I will give it a go.

KevinWhiteJA :

ok let me know how it goes

JACUSTOMER-3q6etzdg- :

I get a reading of 29.2 across the terminals, out of 200 ohms.

KevinWhiteJA :

can you set it to its lowest setting and then check

KevinWhiteJA :

if it tests fine then check the door interlock assembly

JACUSTOMER-3q6etzdg- :

It's been a long time away from electronics. I have set my meter to 2M and it reads zero. I will now try to get the door lock out.

JACUSTOMER-3q6etzdg- :

Out of the four terminals in the door switch, there only seems to be contact between the central two terminals.

KevinWhiteJA :

ok looks like the door interlock assembly needs replacement...can you test the element again...with everything disconnected

JACUSTOMER-3q6etzdg- :

On 2M it still reads zero. I had to put it on 20k to get a reading of 0.003

KevinWhiteJA :

Is that the lowest setting on your meter ?

JACUSTOMER-3q6etzdg- :

My meter goes from 2k to 20M. I have forgotten which way the scale goes.

KevinWhiteJA :

if it shows a reading between 0 to 50 ohms when set at the lowest setting then it is fine...if you have analog meter and it does not move then the element is bad

JACUSTOMER-3q6etzdg- :

It is a digital meter, and reads 0.029 on 2k setting. This means element is ok?

KevinWhiteJA :

yes

KevinWhiteJA :

so it is the door interlock assembly

JACUSTOMER-3q6etzdg- :

Thank you. I will get another door lock before I leave feedback. But I will be back in touch when the new lock is fitted.

KevinWhiteJA :

ok sure...If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service ....Thanks

JACUSTOMER-3q6etzdg- :

I cannot rate your service until the new part arrives. They do not sell such parts in my corner shop. Tuesday will be the earliest day I can fit it, if it is here by then.

KevinWhiteJA :

OK sure let me know how it goes...If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied ....Thanks

JACUSTOMER-3q6etzdg- :

I have received the door lock through the post, and fitted it but it does not make any difference. I am now £38 out of pocket, and I still have a broken machine. The washing is piling up, and you have not helped. Please refund the £38 for the door lock, and the £33 I had to pay you to not help. I cannot afford to throw money away like that.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, thank you for the professional response...you can send the door lock back and you will get a refund from there...I have not been paid yet for the assistance that I have given you till now...if you want a refund please contact customer service...this was the part that you have yourself checked with the multimeter and you have also checked the heater yourself...anyways please let me know if you need more help

You can get back to me if you need further assistance...Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I cannot return the door lock, as the packaging is open, and the part has been fitted. You should have known that it would not fix the problem, as the dryer side of the machine ran for 10 minutes without problems. Also it would not have started to fill with water if the lock was faulty. You told me to replace the door lock, at a cost to me of £38 which I want you to refund me as it cannot be returned. I believed you were there to help me get the machine working again.

You tested the door lock yourself and it was not showing continuity that was the reason I told you to get the door lock...moreover, I asked many times if you have tested the heater assembly correctly..anyways please contact Customer Service for refund.