Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

hi i have 15 month old beko tff673ap upright freezer. yesterday

hi i have 15 month old beko tff673ap upright freezer. yesterday morning the electrical supply failed to the freeezer and a tumble dryer next to it because of a problem with a multi plug adaptor - fuse? i have sorted the electrics but despite the power being on the freezer refuses to operate properly with the red temperature light on and the temperature hovering just above freezing for the last 24 hours. any ideas?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
How long was the power to the appliance off?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

probably over night - say 12 hours

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Thanks for that.

The fault you describe would suggest an ice blockage in the evaporator.
This it at the top inside of the freezer.
There's a fan in there too and if this has frozen up, it won't blow cold air around (can't blow it round if the evaporator is blocked too).

With the power being off so long, the machine will have partially defrosted and ice may have blocked the drain hole for the evaporator, leading to a blockage when it was powered again.

You would either have to fully defrost the machine or, take the cover off of the evaporator and manually defrost it with warm air.

To defrost, unplug the appliance and leave it with the door open, in a warm room, for at least 24 hours to fully defrost.

Then, plug it in and it will return to normal working.

If manually defrosting, you need to unplug it and open the cover to the evaporator (not the easiest to do).

Then, use warm air (take care not to overheat the plastic as it will distort and need replacing.

Check it out, see how it goes and get back to me if you need more help.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks i will defrost for 24 hours and try again. any problems then i will come back - excelent so far.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
No problem, just post when you can.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello again

i have defrosted the freezer completely overnight and restarted it this morning. i am getting a green light and the fan is working. but what i think is the black compressor at the bottom rear starts and then clicks off within 1/2 seconds. the freezer isnt getting cooler currently. sounds a bit nasty to me - any help you can offer now? thanks

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.

The compressor clicking off normally means it's failed.

Unplug it again.
Wait 10 minutes, plug it in.
See if the compressor restarts.

Let me know what happens.
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

looks like the compressor. the fan is working but the compressor still just clicks on and then off straight away.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Sorry, looks like it's failed.
This can happen if it overheats and if it had been running trying to cool down while blocked, it could have been damaged.
This wouldn't have been evident until it stopped and cooled down.

Sorry, not good news or a simple fix.
It would also be an expensive repair to have a compressor fitted and the appliance regassed.