Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

My main oven in the double oven would not turn off last night

My main oven in the double oven would not turn off last night as the knob was just going round and round. I had to take the knob off and turn the oven off using pliers on the spindle to make it turn. The knob looks ok but still just goes round and round when I put it back and does not turn the spindle. What do I do, do I need a new knob and how do I put it on please?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Can you post the model number of the appliance please?
Look at the inside of the knob, is the plastic part that goes onto the shaft broken?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Im not sure the model number the instruction book says its one of these:

UY 46X/2

UH 53W

UH 53B

UH53K

UHS 53X

It doesn look as though anything is broken and at the end of the shaft there is a thin wire which I presume is meant to go into the end of the spindle where there is a grove

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.

The model number will be on a label in the door recess of the oven.

Haven't come across a knob with a thin wire it's normally a metal plate inserted that sits on the flat side of the shaft.

If the shaft turns with pliers but not with the knob, the knob has to be the cause of the problem.

It's not gripping the shaft for some reason.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just checked nothing on the door. You are right is a metal plate looks like a wire until you hold it right, do I need a new knob and if I do how do I put it on?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Yes, you will very likely need a new knob.
Once you get it, you simply push it onto the shaft.

If you can give the model number I can check further into this for you and link you to a supplier.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX right idiot, been looking at knob and now I can see it has a crack in the shaft. Not been a widow long and husband used to do this sort of thing. Learnt now not to panic and to look at things logically, thanks again for your help

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
You're very welcome.

If you find the model number of the machine you can get a new knob from the likes of www.espares.co.uk , direct from Hotpoint or from a local repair shop.

Good luck with the repair.

Hope this helped
I'd appreciate it if you could rate the help/answer I provided positively, it's how I'm paid for my time and efforts.