KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

All the programs except for one - Refresh and Rinse - trip

All the programs except for one - Refresh and Rinse - trip the power after about ten minutes of washing. Is it a computer chip problem?
Thank you in advance for your help!
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 2 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

Please tell me its complete model number

KevinWhiteJA :

and how old is it ?

Customer:

It's about seven years old...I hope I don't have to pull the machine out to get the model number!...Will it be necessary? I can't find the documentation any more, either, I'm afraid...

KevinWhiteJA :

nope the model number is XXXXX inside the door

Customer:

Oh, good...I'll just get that...

Customer:

E-Nr WAE24162UK/01 (FD 8701 09664) (Type WCM40 1PX4)

KevinWhiteJA :

thanks

KevinWhiteJA :

so it works fine on other programms but on this one it trips after working for around 10 mins

KevinWhiteJA :

is that right ?

Customer:

It works fine only on the Freshen Up/Rinse program...every other program has it cutting out after about ten minutes or so...

KevinWhiteJA :

ok and after it cuts off the water is cold ?

Customer:

Yes, I don't think it gets a chance to heat up...I switched to Freshen Up to rinse the wash, mainly, and allow the water to drain before I removed the clothes...

KevinWhiteJA :

I dont think it is a control problem as it works for around 10 minutes

KevinWhiteJA :

more likely it is the heater element that is bad and needs replacement

Customer:

Would you have any idea what that would cost me these days?

KevinWhiteJA :

yes it will cost around £35

KevinWhiteJA :

if you are willing to do it yourself

KevinWhiteJA :

then please check this Video

KevinWhiteJA :

this is a common problem after the washer is around 7 yrs old

Customer:

So added to the cost of service it would be at least € 100...just trying to calculate if I may be better off looking a new machine...Oh, I don't think I'd risk doing it myself, I'm afraid...knowing my luck, I'd probably to more damage to the machine...

KevinWhiteJA :

yes somewhere around £140

KevinWhiteJA :

including the cost of repair

Customer:

Does a faulty element always trip the power?

KevinWhiteJA :

yes it will, control detects after 10 mins that the water is not heating so usually it will either stop the washer there and wont move the cycle or will trip

Customer:

OK. I presume the Freshen Up/Rinse uses cold water only...Here's a thought: if I used the Cold Wash program only, would I get a full cycle - bypassing the element? I might get more mileage out of the machine that way before I buy a new one...

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes you can try...but I dont think that is a good idea to run a machine with faulty heater

Customer:

Even if I bypass the heater?...

Customer:

I should have asked, of course, what harm could it do?

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes you can... disconnect the wires to the heater, insulate them and try the machine. If it runs ok then it confirms the heater as the fault.

KevinWhiteJA :

it might harm the control

KevinWhiteJA :

but yes should work on cold cycles

Customer:

Ok, Jack. Well, I know where I stand now. Many thanks for your help!

Customer:

And best wishes from Ireland!

KevinWhiteJA :

You're welcome....Excellent feedback is appreciated if you are satisfied with my assistance....Have a Good Weekend :)

KevinWhiteJA :

Cheers

Customer:

Ok. Take care.

KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Worked on appliances for more than 15 years