Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Hi, Ive got a Whirlpool Sixth Sense American-style fridge

Hi, I've got a Whirlpool Sixth Sense American-style fridge freezer. This morning I noticed a small polystyene and plastic part in the ice bucket, and a white cable hanging down. I can still dispense ice, but no new ice is being made. Can you help?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Can you post the model number please. It will be on a sticker inside the fridge behind the salad drawers at the bottom on the right hand side.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Daniel,

The model number is XXXXX I've managed to put the little polystyrene and plastic back but I don't know where the little cable goes. I'm not sure it's producing any ice.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Sorry that number isn't brining anything up. Is that the correct model number?

Or better still on that sticker inside the fridge is a service number starting 85. Can you post this please but you need to prefix it with an A otherwise it will get crossed out.

Eg A852512341234

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Try A858664015210. Model number could be WF5552.

Thanks,

Cathy

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok got it now thanks. if you popped the wire sensor back in and its still not making or producing ice its more then likely a faulty ice maker unit itself. These fail quite a lot on these so feel inside the tray and see if theres ice in the mould as if there isn't may be worth trying a defrost just incase the water line inside the fridge roof is frozen up. Its worth a try just in case but if its not then the ice maker unit will need to be replaced.

As a new unit will get the ice up and running again as like I said they are common for failing on these side by side appliances.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Daniel,

I had to defrost the freezer yesterday because I had a problem. It started to produce ice again after I switched everything back on, but this morning I noticed the wire hanging down. I don't know where to put the wire sensor. Also, how can I check if there is ice in the mould? I can't get my fingers in!

Sounds like I might need a new unit, but if you could just tell me where to put the wire sensor, that might do the trick. Thanks,

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

The sensor fits under the ice mould tray its normally clipped into a bracket. Now there isn't any diagrams showing the location as it comes with the ice maker so it just shows the ice maker but try and clip it under the mould tray and see how it goes from there.