Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

Have an upright Hoover long reach cleaner. What is the easiest

Have an upright Hoover long reach cleaner.
What is the easiest way to clean and keep the main filter clear?
Thanks Barbara
Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isn't clear, please just ask me.

Hi Barbara
Can you tell me which model this is so I can see the type of filter it uses, please?
Also, is this your sole vacuum cleaner in the house?

Rob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Model is Hoover upright long reach cleaner, 300 air watts, hurricane, cyclonic system. HU4217/1.

In addition we have a small hand held vacuum but the Hoover is the only main cleaner that we have.

The filter is a concertina design making it very difficult to clean out all the dirt/dust. I'm thinking there must be a way to open it out to empty and clean.

Thanks for your help
Barbara
Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.

Can I ask you to take a moment and rate my response? Please use the smiley faces which you should now see. Please remember you are rating me personally, not the website or the problems you have had with this machine.
If you need to ask me anything after rating, please just follow the link in the welcome email
Rob

Hi Barbara

Thanks for that.

On this model there is the mesh type filter and the pleated hepa filter.
Its made this way to give more surface area so as to allow longer periods between the need to clean them.

Unfortunately this does mean they are more difficult to clean. I am afraid that this is the downside of having a bagless vacuum. All makes are simmilar in this design.

I would say that the best way to deal with this is with an old soft paint brush and brush the worst of the dust away. It is perfectly OK for you to wash this also, if it gets particularly dusty. Just run it under warm running water. Make sure its bone dry before you re install it.

Im sorry there isnt a quicker way to do this, but if you clean the filter requently, each should be easier to keep clean

If you need more help, please just ask

In the meantime