Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Gas cooker specialist
46681511

My ignis hob burner ignites but do not stay on?

Customer Question

Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 3 years ago.

Andrew Smith : If you have to push and hold the knob to keep the flame lit, then try holding the knob pushed in for at least 10 seconds, if this does not work then try replacing the thermocouple.
JACUSTOMER-1j6hbvub- :

I have tried holding the knob even for one minute but as soon as I let go the knob the burners goes off.

JACUSTOMER-1j6hbvub- :

What is the thermocouple?

Andrew Smith : a thermocouple is a safety device that prevents the gas continuing if it is not lit. If it is faulty then it will not hold the inside of the gas valve open once you let go
JACUSTOMER-1j6hbvub- :

There are four burners on my hob and all the other three are working perfect. If it was thermocouple then the other three won't be working either unless there are one thermocouple for each burner. Am I right?

Andrew Smith : Correct, there is a thermocouple on each burner for safety flame supervision
JACUSTOMER-1j6hbvub- :

If I buy it on line what should I look for?

Andrew Smith : You will need to search by make and model number and then for a thermocouple
Andrew Smith : espares is a good site to start on
JACUSTOMER-1j6hbvub- :

How do I replace or change a thermocouple? Do I have to remove the top off my ignis hob if so how?

Andrew Smith : You will have to get a Gas Safe engineer to do this as it is a safety device linked to the gas supply
JACUSTOMER-1j6hbvub- :

Hello Andrew

JACUSTOMER-1j6hbvub- :

Can I buy the thermocouple from Wicks?

Andrew Smith : No, better from espares or Parts Centre or the manufacturer themselves
JACUSTOMER-1j6hbvub- :

Thank you Andrew. I will get in touch when it is fixed.

Andrew Smith : No problem