Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

Hi,i have a LG GRL207TUJA American style fridge freezer,the

Customer Question

Hi,i have a LG GRL207TUJA American style fridge freezer,the pipe feeding the drinks dispenser has broken inside the freezer door,at the location of the lower hinge,just inside of the coiled sprung support,i have some spare tubing and would like advise on how to replace the broken section,thanks!
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient with us as these are technical questions and some testing may be required.
It may take a bit of back and forth conversation to be sure we have all the information in order to make a proper diagnosis.
Its likely the plastic tube is all, but Please let me know how old the freezer is.
Also is it leaking when you try to dispense water, or leaks all the time.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The appliance is about seven years old.it only leaks when you operate the dispenser.i know that the plastic tubing is split and must be replaced,but im not sure how to replace it,thanks.

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mervyn, it could also be a bad water solenoid in the door, But its Easter today so its hard for me to get the info you will need until the morning.
I will stick with you as this is a pretty easy task in any case but since this may take some time, if you will rate my service in a positive fashion thus far before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and also ensure your question will NOT close or time out;-)
You will then be able to contact me at anytime at no additional cost until we have this fixed for you.

Thank you XXXXX
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok Michael,im a little confused, i thought that you are an LG technician and would know the answer to my question today,but i appreciate that it is easter sunday and that sometimes we have to seek advice from others,i am a gas service engineer with 30 years experience and i also occasionally reqire help from others,im concerned that if i rate your response as good or better that i wont hear anything more from you! i was hoping to attempt a repair of my appliance today,if not first thing tomorrow morning,if you can reassure me that i can communicate with you at no extra charge then i will rate you as good at this point,thanks,Mervyn.

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
lol, Hi Merv, I have an excellent rating on here for over 5 years, I never leave y customers without the help they require.
I have over 30 years in refrigeration service under my belt.
I will not cost you anything further to rate, actually it will lock us in.
I understand your concern but we are have and A+ rating with the BBB as well so dont worry.
Hope this helps ease your mind.
I will try to get the information you need and also the best place for you to get the part(s) you need.
Have a great Easter Merv!
Tech Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michael,just wanted to know if you are able to answer my original questions,thanks,Merv

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Merv, what you need is the water valve and the water line in the door. Once you have those two parts i will help you disassemble the unit and replace them;-)
Please contact Espares:
0844 9777 888
Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm, Saturday 9am to 4pm, or 10am to 4pm on Bank Holidays

Calls from within the UK are charged at 5p per minute including VAT from BT landlines, other networks and mobile companies may vary.

For security and training purposes, telephone calls may be recorded or monitored.

Outside the UK? Call us on: +44 (0) 20 7717 5046.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for replying Michael,i,ve been on Espares web site,but i cant see that part listed,ive also been onto partmaster webb site,where i was able to get an exploded diagram of the freezer door,it doesnt show the pipe within the door.i have taken the door off and have removed all other relevant parts to try and get access,but have been unsucessfull! i can see the broken pipe,it is just above the lower left hinge.i am beginining to think that access is not possible,even though im not one to give up! Some parts,including the freezer door are obsolete. I need a 5/16 " / 8mm connector and a short piece of same size plastic tubing and if i could only work out how to get access i would have achieved a repair.I am very gratefull for your help and i appologise for bothering you on a easter sunday,cheers,Merv.

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Hi yes Partmaster is very good this way.
But is this leaking from where the line is entering the door?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes,just where it enters the door,just above the hinge.The pipe is almost broken completely away.I have taken the door off,but cannot get access to the pipe wihin the door!

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Merv the only way to remove that is to disconnect it from the dispenser then it should be able to be removed, but I wouldn't do that until you have the new one because you need to attach it to the old one to pull the new line up or else it will be extremely difficult to replace the new one.
Does that make sense to you?
Thanks Merv.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Mike,believe it or not i took all of the removeable parts off of the dispenser and still couldnt pull it out from the top! I have sent an email to LG explaining what the problem is and asking for the part numbers required,im not convinced that they will reply! but fingers crossed,thanks again,Merv.

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Merv they should respond, but they are slow I know that. Also sometimes they add some glue to affix the tube inside the door Stupid as it is.
They dont expect that to break Duh.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Mike! have a good evening!

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
You too Merv!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello again Mike,i have contacted LG ,i gave them all of the details,they told me what parts that i needed and gave me the part numbers,i also phoned them to confirm that they had given me the correct part numbers,i then ordered the parts through their approved part suppliers.The parts arrived,but the pipe that they supplied is a smaller size than the one that i have(6mm sent,mine is 8mm)What i plan to do is to use a 8mm to 6mm connector (2 in total) to join a short section of 6mm pipe to my 8mm pipe,but my original question on how to get accesss to the inside of the door has not been answered.I have removed the control panel trim,the display panel,the rubber boot over the plastic switch arm,the switch arm and trim.This gives me access to the rubber nozzle where the water dispenses from.I can easily remove the freezer door and can remove the lower left hinge and bush(i can see the pipe up inside of the freezer door,it appears to go inside a duct/pipe for a short distance and then appears to be surrounded by insulation,any further help will be most appreciated,Merv.

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Merv, I will check on that for you. I did only one like that before personally, it was a pain because there is insulation in the door as well to fight with.
Its rare that the line ever breaks there but hey...it happens too.
I will be back in touch with you.
Thank you Merv;-)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mike, i thought that i would let you know that the only way that i could get access to the broken pipe was to cut a very neat access hole in the edge of the door,about 150mm up from the lower hinge,i was then able to access the pipe and fit a connecter to it and then run a section of pipe back to the connecter below the freezer door,the drink dispenser is now working!! i have already asked a friend of mine,who is a metal fabricator,to make me a panel to cover over the hole that i have made(no insulation has been lost) thank you so much for your assistance,i would definetely recommend your service to others,Merv.

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Merv!
Glad your an engineer now lol!
Have a great weekend!
Tech Michael