Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

My Hoover WDYNS 654D80 has a problem with tumble drying. The

Customer Question

My Hoover WDYNS 654D80 has a problem with tumble drying. The thermostat keeps tripping which stops the heater from working. (Without hot air, obviously it does not dry clothes.) There is also a nasty rotten egg smell coming from inside. I have checked the filter from the water outlet pipe is clear. On this model there is no lint filter to clean. Judging by the lint that used to build up around the door when drying I would not be surprised if there was quite a lot going into the condenser but it does not seem to be accessible to check that.
I can remove the lid and reset the thermostat but it goes again next time the drying programme is used. Seems like there is another problem and this trip is just a symptom.
Any ideas?
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient with us as these are technical questions and some testing may be required.
It may take a bit of back and forth conversation to be sure we have all the information in order to make a proper diagnosis.
Is yours the electric or gas version?

Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michael,

it is electric.

Simon

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Simon,
The first thing you need to do is remove the vent hose from the back of the dryer and turn it on let m know how good of an air flow you get, it should be pretty forceful.
Please let me know.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michael,

there is no vent hose: it is a condenser dryer.

The only hose out is the waste water hose.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for that Simon, This means you have clog, that is causing the unit to overheat, you should not run it this way as it will cause damage and could cause a fire.
It really needs a professional cleaning. If you have the tools and are handy and don't mind getting into it I will help you there as well. If not please have a an appliance service tech clean this for you. I will stick with you until this is fixed but since this may take some time, if you will rate my service in a positive fashion thus far before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and also ensure your question will NOT close or time out;-)
You will then be able to contact me at anytime at no additional cost until we have this fixed for you.

Thank you Simon ;-)
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michael,

thanks for your answer. Before deciding how to proceed I would like to know what is involved in doing this myself. What kind of tools would I need?

How long a job is it?

Thanks,

Simon

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Simon, you will need do a bit of disassemby and need some basic hand tools, if you are handy you can do this, I will help.
You will also need a good shop vac.
It will take you probably an hour or two depending on your ability is.
But if you really dont feel up to that, you may be better off having a tech do this for you, they can do it much quicker;-)
Please let me know and please rate kindly so I can set up your free follow ups, it wont cost you anything further to do this.
Thanks Simon.
Tech Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michael,

if you would be so kind as to outline the disassembly procedure for my model, I'll consider whether I want to tackle it myself and if so when I will have time.

Thanks,

Simon

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.

Hi can tell you its a pretty big procedure .
It requires removing the outer shells, cleaning everything with a special brush and vacuuming. Next the lines to to come off and be flushed out, then you will need a meter and perform some tests to make sure that there isnt anything electronically wrong with anything.
Please let me know if you want to tackle this?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hmm, probably not - not at the moment anyway. I am weighing the risk of not having working washing machine at all vs the benefit of getting the dryer functioning again. I really need a washing machine, while the dryer is a nice bonus!

Could you give me your best guess as to what a professional would charge for such a job?

I live in France but a UK price will do just to get a rough feel.

Thanks,

Simon

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks,

Simon

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.

Hi this could be as simple as a bad thermostat, or much bigger.
So it would very difficult for me to know that unless I could see it.
I would really have a small local appliance tech come look at it and give you an estimate then you could decide if you want to continue that way with the dryer.
I wish I could be more help.