Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I have a 3 year old JKT kettle. When switched on the kettle

Customer Question

I have a 3 year old JKT kettle. When switched on the kettle switches itself off again after a few seconds; this does not happen everytime but increasingly more often. Is it possible simply to buy a new switch or perhaps clean up the contacts on the existing switch? Thanks
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
PleasHello,
Please be patient with us as these are technical questions and some testing may be required.
It may take a bit of back and forth conversation to be sure we have all the information in order to make a proper diagnosis.
May I have the full model #?

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The numbers under the base plate are:

SKU 72501

Model JKT3

Serial Number 2009.42

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for that information,
The problem is a bad thermal cut out.
Its a temp switch that has failed.
If you have some basic tools and are handy this way we can help you fix this, or you could send it in for repair.
Please let me know what you would like to do?
I will stick with you until we have resolve but since this may take some time, if you will rate my service in a positive fashion thus far before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and also ensure your question will NOT close or time out;-)
You will then be able to contact me at anytime at no additional cost until we have this fixed for you.

Thank you XXXXX
Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. I am normally able to make simple repairs so if you could indicate what is needed I can have a go. It will not be until tomorrow that I can start on the job.

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi please write me here tomorrow when you are ready for further info;-)
Have a great night!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good morning. Ready for action, how do I start?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello, are we still in contact? Do I start by unscrewing the three screws underneath the kettle?

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Hi yes thats where the part is, it should be a small metal part connected to the element, it will need to be replaced to fix this.
I will see where I can find the best place for that part for you once you can see it.
Thank you for your patience because we are in different time zones lol.
Have a great day!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I need to pop out and buy a torx screwdriver! Tomorrow.

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Ok sounds good i will be here then as well;-)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can't see the small metal bit. I cannot completely remove the round plastic base but I can see springy looking metal bits on either side of the input concentric circles. Do they break the circuit?

Can still make myself a cup of tea!

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
LOL!

I think I know what you are talking about but to be sure you will need to get it apart a little more.
It is a part that actually tuns directly inline with one of the power leads entering the unit.
Thats the part you will need ;-)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do I need to undo the bolts into the base of the kettle or do I merely need to find a way of completely separating the black plastic base. To do that I guess I have to somehow remove the switch that goes through the side of the plate.

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Hi cant see it so I am not sure as they do this both ways, one way or another you need to be able to access the coil and the thermostat timer;-)
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
r
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had to replace the kettle urgently and happily found a rather good one for only £22. This makes it not worthwhile to repair the old one.

Thanks for the help that you gave and I'm sure you would have given further helpful comments if I had continued.

David Hilton

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi David, Im glad you found a good solution anyway!
Have great day happy to assist.
Michael