Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

Hello. I have a side-by-side fridge freezer (RSH1FBRS) and

Hello.
I have a side-by-side fridge freezer (RSH1FBRS) and just got back from a holiday to find that the water dispenser has stopped working and the fridge is not cold. The freezer seems to be fine. I can hear the pump for the water operating somewhere, but no water is coming out. The water filter is not blocked. There are no kinks in the line (I have checked both). I don't think the reservoir is frozen in the fridge (as per the trouble-shooting suggestions). I assume that perhaps the fridge compressor may have failed, but I don't understand why the water dispenser would also not deliver the water. Might they share a fuse that can be changed?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
There's only 1 compressor on the machine and it serves both the freezer and the fridge.

Take the drawers in the fridge out.
Take the rear panel inside the fridge (behind the drawers) off.
If it's frozen in place let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for that.

I know there is a design issue with the placement of the thermostat on the early models of this fridge. I have had issues in the past where the fan has started ticking. I had a look online and found some instructions on how to remove the ice that builds up around the fan, causing the ticking. This time, the fact that the water dispenser had stopped AND the fridge wasn't ticking - it just wasn't working - was a bit concerning. Anyway. I think the water reservoir must've frozen up (a first) and something about the ice around the thermostat on the fridge side had just made the cooling stop working altogether. Odd. Anyway, it's all been de-iced and put back together and it seems to be working fine now.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
The fault has been on all of their side by side machines, still getting similar on 3 year old ones now.

If your machine ices up quickly again, you've got a failure in the defrost circuit.
Element or thermal fuse are common failures.

Good luck with it,
Hope this helped