KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

I have a hotpoint WMA62 washing machine that has stopped spining.

Customer Question

I have a hotpoint WMA62 washing machine that has stopped spining. It worked fine on the first and second loads and when I did a rins spin it flashed the spin light but did not go any faster than normal. I have just put it on a normal 40 degree wash and its done the same.
Do you have any idea what's wrong?
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 2 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Good Morning

KevinWhiteJA :

Welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

How old is this washer ?

JACUSTOMER-dxv9aq1j- :

I am not sure its in the teens of years old.

KevinWhiteJA :

If you open the door is the water too cold

JACUSTOMER-dxv9aq1j- :

The washing is colder than I think it would be normaly. I have also notticed that the spin light is flashing when the machine has stopped and the door is open.

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, can you pull it out and try to clean the drain pump assembly completely...how good are your DIY skills ?

KevinWhiteJA :

can you test the heating element with a multimeter

JACUSTOMER-dxv9aq1j- :

Yea I have done the drain part before but I have not tested the heating element. How do I do that, I have a meter?

KevinWhiteJA :

with the washer unplugged and element removed you can test it with a meter for continuity...no continuity means bad element and will need replacement however, before doing that with the washer unplugged try to locate the pressure switch which has a thin hose attached to it and then clean it and give some taps on the pressure switch with the back of screw driver

KevinWhiteJA :

if cleaning that helps then it means element is fine if not then you can test the element

KevinWhiteJA :

Full Size Image

KevinWhiteJA :

it is usually located inside the top near the control

KevinWhiteJA :

Please don't rate the solution till the time you are completely satisfied...If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

JACUSTOMER-dxv9aq1j- :

Where might i find the heating element?

KevinWhiteJA :

OK you need to remove the top. Then the back panel at bottom to gain access to the heater

JACUSTOMER-dxv9aq1j- :

I have tested the element which gives a reading so it should OK. Is there any way to test the pressurs switch? Could you explain how this might affect the spin?

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, if you have tested the heating element and the pressure switch is fine as well then check the door interlock assembly

JACUSTOMER-dxv9aq1j- :

The door is fine as the machine is working other than spinning!

KevinWhiteJA :

If the pressure switch/hose is blocked it wont drain and so it wont spin...if you have already tried to clean the pressure switch/hose then test the door interlock assembly...if the washer detects that the door is not closed sometimes it will run the wash cycle but won't spin at all because of faulty door interlock...let me know how it goes

JACUSTOMER-dxv9aq1j- :

Ok the hose is not blocked on the pressure switch. How do I test the door lock?

KevinWhiteJA :

with the washer unplugged and interlock removed you can test it with a meter

JACUSTOMER-dxv9aq1j- :

How do I test the door switch? I have removed it and flicked ths latch with the meter on the conectors but i get no reading. What pins should I have the meter on?

KevinWhiteJA :

Full Size Image

KevinWhiteJA :

I hope you are checking this part

KevinWhiteJA :

if yes then you can simply test the connectors with a meter

JACUSTOMER-dxv9aq1j- :

Yes its the part, how do I test it?

KevinWhiteJA :

place the needle on 2 3 and then 2 4 to test it

KevinWhiteJA :

if you are getting no continuity then it means the part will need replacement

KevinWhiteJA :

you can also try to insulate the wires of the door interlock assembly together and check if the spin cycle works

JACUSTOMER-dxv9aq1j- :

Ok I have tried all three pins flicking the latch and I get no reading. How do I insulate the wires of the door interlock assembly together?

KevinWhiteJA :

you will have to remove the wires from the clip and then insulate them...that is not recommended though but you can try ...you have already checked the interlock and it does not give any reading so I believe it is the interlock

KevinWhiteJA :

a new one will cost around £10

JACUSTOMER-dxv9aq1j- :

Thanks Kevin I have ordered a new interlock. I do not want to close this chat untill I know this is the problem, is that OK?

KevinWhiteJA :

Sure no problem....Please don't rate the solution till the time you are completely satisfied...If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

JACUSTOMER-dxv9aq1j- :

Thanks Kevin that doorlock fixed the spin. I thought it strange at the time but when the lock give no meter reading it did look like that was the cause. Our machine is nearly is twenty years old and other than a new set of brushes last year and this lock now its been going well.

JACUSTOMER-dxv9aq1j- :

Thanks for your help!