fixer2013
fixer2013, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  PAT Testing C&G Level 3 100/439/1
74591549

My 1970 Council flat kitchen as just been completely refurbished

My 1970 Council flat kitchen as just been completely refurbished under a 'Better Homes' scheme. Unfortunately, although they surveyed and measured the area and also did the same for the appliances such as the cooker, washing machine and my new Fridge/freezer, when the kitchen units had been installed it was found that that the latter would not fit into the space allowed. This. through their error had not allowed for the skirting board and the door frame.
The skirting board has been removed, the door frame altered but despite my protests they refuse to do anything else. This means that my model CSC1365WE fridge/freezer will fit into the space but with no ventilation gap either side for the freezer. There is adequate air space at the rear and this applies also to the 'fridge (also plenty of space above). The 'fridge is also partly covered both sides.
I am worried that being tightly fitted that this could cause damage to the appliance - the alternative is to have it free standing in the kitchen area where it would make life awkward getting to cupboards and with the sun, unless I have a blind down constantly, heating the back of the unit.
I am seeking advice as to how to get the Council to change their attitude but this could be a very drawn out action with no success at the end.
Your advice would be welcomed. My thanks for your help
Ken at [email protected]
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

May I ask if you have yet made a formal as opposed to informal complaint regarding the quality of the work in question please? If so has the council given you a formal response to your complaint?

Customer:

Thank you for your reply but it was not a question of law that was being asked. My query was a technical one which posed the question as to whether the fridge/freezer would be damaged if sandwiched between the wall and the kitchen unit.

Joshua :

Thanks for your reply. I apologise for my misunderstanding. You have either deliberately or accidentally posted your question in the UK legal section of this site hence my confusion. May I transfer your question to one of my colleagues in the electronic and appliances section where they may be able to assist you? The alternative is to have the work rectified which I would certainly assist you with.

Customer:

I think it was my fault when I said I was chasing the Council - in fact this aspect is already under way with a local Councillor who is doing her best to find a solution. My apologies for not being completely clear when asking the question.

Joshua :

Not at all. My view would be that you would look at getting the council to rectify the work rather than compromise. I can outline the process you can use to force the councils hand in this respect if you wish. If you would prefer me to transfer this to a section staffed by engineers who should be able to assist with the practical aspect though please let me know

Customer:

What I am seeking, at the present moment, is advice as to whether the unit will suffer by being enclosed, the freezer part completely except at the rear and fridge partly enclosed, (one side completely the other about a quarter contained. The fridge is open to air completely at the rear and over the top.

Joshua :

No problem. I will ask that this is transferred. This may take a few hours to complete. Best wishes

Expert:  fixer2013 replied 2 years ago.

Hello good evening. I hope that I can carry on and give you some help with your issue. A lot of the modern appliances can be fitted into compact spaces in modern kitchens. enclosed or partly as you describe. The only issue is getting airflow around the rear where the heating coils are situated. There should be around 100 mm space. at the rear. A suggestion could be if you have wooden floors put two or three holes about half inch diameter this may increase air flow to the rear of the appliances. If the floor is concrete or other increase the gap at the rear if possible. I hope that can help you. Kind regards

fixer2013, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: PAT Testing C&G Level 3 100/439/1
Expert:  fixer2013 replied 2 years ago.
Hello again
I would like to thank you for your positive rating on my answer.
Also thank you for using Just Answer. If you have any questions in the future, just post them and we will get a reply to you as soon as possible