Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

Hi we cant seem to get our flavel oven door it go back on.

Customer Question

Hi we can't seem to get our flavel oven door it go back on. It's an Fbu7, and the springs are giving us real problems, can you help.?
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient with us as these are technical questions and some testing may be required.
It may take a bit of back and forth conversation to be sure we have all the information in order to make a proper diagnosis.
How did it come off?
May I have the full model #?
Also is the problem the spring seems to tight to re attach to the frame of the oven as I suspect?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not sure you got my original reply... I can't see it on here.

Yes the springs seem too tight, but we may have got round that by jamming a screwdriver down the side gaps and applying pressure. They are now in place and we've managed to get the door back on of a fashion but now need to take it back off again to try and readjust the black L shaped bracket they sit on. Do you have any tips for the springs?

The full spec of the oven can be found here http://www.flavelappliances.com/Item/FBU71#support

thanks

Sarah

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Sarah,
this is a problem that needs to be handled a bit different.
What you need to do is remove the hinges from the door, then attach them to the oven frame. Next, then you can extend the spring hinges out much easier and safer. Then you can slide the door on and reassemble;-)
I will stick with you until you have this done but since this may take some time, if you will rate my service in a positive fashion thus far before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and also ensure your question will NOT close or time out;-)
You will then be able to contact me at anytime at no additional cost until we have this fixed for you.

Thank you Sarah.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Michael, thats how we'd got round it but now the hinges wont stay extended and the door seems super quick to try and snap shut when we do eventually manage to get it on. We aren't able to fully extend the hinge manually as it won't stay at all extended, it's like the spring hasn't got any way of locking in an extended position.

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi The way I usually do this is with a helper.
Do this VERY CAREFULLY!
Hole the hinges out and then slide the door so the hinges will slide into their respective positions, and that should do it. its a simple task, but not so easy to do lol.
I will be here if I can help any further.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not sure what you mean sorry?

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Sorry Sarah,
once the hinges are on the oven but not the door yet, then they need to be extended enough to slide the door over them, you can use a block of wood even on each hinge between the oven frame and the hinge to hold the hinges there until you can slide the door on. Does that make sense?
thanks for your patience Sarah;-)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It does... but the right hand side just isn't clipping

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Sarah, the problem is this needs to be placed on very evenly and straight or it wont go in all the way, its a bit of a pain.
Please keep me posted.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your help Michael but we ended up calling someone out...it was just too painful!

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Lol, sorry Sarah, I have been replacing these hinges for years. And even for me its a rough thing to do in most cases.
I wish I could been there to do it for you.
Have a great day, at least you didn't get hurt.
Please let me know if you need me for anything.
Tech Michael ;-)